Best glue for paper backed veneer application (Cold Press)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dav70ita

Reaction score
I need to veneer a furniture with paper backed veneer. The substrate is plywood and I will veneer it using a cold press. The furniture will never be exposed to moisture, so moisture is not a problem and I will use one big piece of veneer, so there is no need to make assemblies within veneer sheets. The veneer is 0.6 mm thick (1/40 of an inch). I don’t need a long open assembly time, and I also suppose that being a paper backed veneer sheet, bleed-through is not a problem for that project. Considering all that, I need an advice about the best glue to use. I’m considering 3 different types of glue:
1) White classic PVA glue
2) Yellow PVA glue like Titebond II
3) Titebond cold press veneer
I also need an advice about the application. Do I have to apply the glue to both the substrate and the veneer sheet back, or only to the substrate?

I'm no veneering expert (Custard is the one to ask :))I always thought that PVA was rubbish for veneering because it swelled the veneer with the water content, not sure about the paper backed stuff though. I would personally use a contact adhesive out of a tin such as Scotchweld, very thinly applied to both the substrate and the veneer, wait until both go tacky to the touch and combine the two and press them.

As I said though, I've not done any veneer work for years.

dav70ita":2k7rkdxz said:
I need to veneer a furniture with paper backed veneer. The substrate is plywood and I will veneer it using a cold press. The furniture will never be exposed to moisture, so moisture is not a problem and I will use one big piece of veneer, so there is no need to make assemblies within veneer sheets. The veneer is 0.6 mm thick (1/40 of an inch). I don’t need a long open assembly time, and I also suppose that being a paper backed veneer sheet, bleed-through is not a problem for that project. Considering all that, I need an advice about the best glue to use. I’m considering 3 different types of glue:
1) White classic PVA glue
2) Yellow PVA glue like Titebond II
3) Titebond cold press veneer
I also need an advice about the application. Do I have to apply the glue to both the substrate and the veneer sheet back, or only to the substrate?
I've always used a PVA glue for veneering and have had few problems. For me, the main thing is to use a glue that's waterproof as you can then wet the 'show' side when it's cured to remove any sticky veneer tape. I currently use Everbuild D4 for almost all my work and can buy a litre locally for less than a fiver - Rob

woodbloke66":3awbfift said:
I've always used a PVA glue for veneering and have had few problems. For me, the main thing is to use a glue that's waterproof as you can then wet the 'show' side when it's cured to remove any sticky veneer tape. I currently use Everbuild D4 for almost all my work and can buy a litre locally for less than a fiver - Rob
Thanks so much, I could easily buy Everbuild D4 on amazon.
But I have a question, do you use Everbuild D4 glue in the same way that PVA glue?
Do you apply the glue only to the substrate or also to the back side of the veneer sheet?

Paper backed veneer is a doddle to use, it doesn't need flattening and is pretty much immune from cockling. The main problem with paper backed veneer is that tends to be a bit bland, chiefly because you can't flip it over for book matching therefore it makes sense for the manufacturers to use the more uniform and bland grain patterns.

You can use virtually any adhesive with paper backed, PVA, scotch glue, UF or contact adhesive, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. If you're not very experienced then I'd recommend PVA. Only apply PVA to the substrate. Personally I'd use Titebond Coldpress or a good D3 cross linking PVA such as the one from Airpress which I use regularly,

https://www.airpress.co.uk/294-easybond ... --5kg.html

Both the Airpress PVA and Titbond Coldress roller out super smoothly in just two or three passes. I know some craftsmen who add 5-10% water to their veneering PVA to achieve smoother rollering, personally I think any extra water around veneering just spells trouble.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back