Best Flatbits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
One of those things that I don't use much, but when I do I like them sharp!

Today I have just realised that my flatbit set is next to useless, as I say, not used frequently but many years old and so used a few times over the years. They are a brand that I advised are not known for quality.

So, I want a set of flatbits, but I want really good quality. Price? I am a great believer that you get what you pay for.

Cheers

I get very good results with the Irwin blue groove bits, but there are times especially in harder timbers where the cheaper flat faced bits that don't have a ground in cutting angle on the face perform much better because they scrape the material out rather slicing it which always makes the bit bite hard in hard timber.

IRW1840636_1.JPG

You know they're easily sharpenable? It's just a second with a file to put an edge back on. The quality is virtually unimportant, and you'll get nothing better by paying more.

Does anyone lap and hone their own?
Is there any old brands, as the cheap ones are a bit thin and flimsy.
I have had alright success making them cut backwards for square shouldered countersinks
that won't chew the pilot hole up.
Only If I could find a better spade bit, as it's not worth bothering to go that far with the cheap ones.
I presume the could work way better if fettled?

Tom

Attachments

• DSCN2139.JPG
    DSCN2139.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 325
MikeG.":1b3303c6 said:
You know they're easily sharpenable? It's just a second with a file to put an edge back on. The quality is virtually unimportant, and you'll get nothing better by paying more.

I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll give it a try tomorrow

I have a set of the Irwin bits that Trevanion mentioned, fantastic value for the money.

We've the de walts with a chunky shaft, look more substantial, but still have to go down to the standard hex at the drill end. Difficult to find bits in larger diams good for hardwoods. Even old jennings pattern auger bits often have a coarse entry spiral for softwood and sieze up in hardwood, even with a really big throw brace. Forstners/sawtooth seem OK, even the cheaper ones if you fettle, if you can use a drill press.

Thanks for all the replies.

The sharpening didn't seem to do much, maybe they're too far gone?

I'll het a set of Dewalt. For £16 That should be OK, or maybe the Irwin, I've had their stuff before and been pleased.

Back