Best Finish For Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks im just making my first box out of waknut and have not got a clue how to finish it.. #-o

Can someone please advise the sanding process and reccomended finish please.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave - not spent time with waknut (very sorry, my humour gets me into trouble often :oops: ). it's a beautiful wood, very fine grain and gets away with minimal finishing (esp. on a box, which will not suffer heavy handling.) personally I'd go for a light natural oil - applied very thin and left a while, then buffed up. Not widely accepted but natural oils are actually finishes, being capable of hardening off and taking a soft sheen - ideal I feel for walnut, will allow the grain and depth to really show. Whatever you go for please avoid glossy synthetics... your walnut deserves better then that.

(edit) sorry, missed the sanding bit - this is very personal taste but I try to avoid sanding at all. If you can get the surface you want off the blade, skip sanding. If you have to sand, then brush all the dust out after - sanding makes things feel smooth, but mainly cos they are clogged with dust, which truly challenges any later finishing as the dust turns grey. For final finish consider a well-tuned cabinet scraper?

[have a funny feeling I'll be in trouble over this 'advice'... we'll see]

if you are using American Black Walnut try this,

prior to applying finish wipe the walnut with Behlens lemon yellow solar lux stain. if you then use danish oil it really brings out the colour of the walnut without making it yellowy!

try it on a scrap piece you will be amazed, i was the first time I did it on recommendation.

Rog

condeesteso":1ovx3rw9 said:
Hi Dave - not spent time with waknut (very sorry, my humour gets me into trouble often :oops: ). it's a beautiful wood, very fine grain and gets away with minimal finishing (esp. on a box, which will not suffer heavy handling.) personally I'd go for a light natural oil - applied very thin and left a while, then buffed up. Not widely accepted but natural oils are actually finishes, being capable of hardening off and taking a soft sheen - ideal I feel for walnut, will allow the grain and depth to really show. Whatever you go for please avoid glossy synthetics... your walnut deserves better then that.

(edit) sorry, missed the sanding bit - this is very personal taste but I try to avoid sanding at all. If you can get the surface you want off the blade, skip sanding. If you have to sand, then brush all the dust out after - sanding makes things feel smooth, but mainly cos they are clogged with dust, which truly challenges any later finishing as the dust turns grey. For final finish consider a well-tuned cabinet scraper?

[have a funny feeling I'll be in trouble over this 'advice'... we'll see]

Hi Douglas,

Yep Waknut is very similar to walnut :D :D :D

Dodge":ao1spkx5 said:
if you are using American Black Walnut try this,

prior to applying finish wipe the walnut with Behlens lemon yellow solar lux stain. if you then use danish oil it really brings out the colour of the walnut without making it yellowy!

try it on a scrap piece you will be amazed, i was the first time I did it on recommendation.

Rog

Roger im not sure if its AW or nut all I know is its walnut #-o

thecoder":hibdz5ev said:
Cheers guys

Dodge, is the stuff you mention widely available

Dave

You can get it direct from Behlens

http://www.behlen.co.uk/Merchant2/merch ... Code=DYEST

A small bottle goes an awful long way as you are only lightly wiping it on - it dries in about an hour and I think you can use pretty much any finish over the top - when you first apply the walnut appears to go orangey in colour but then when it is dry and you apply lacquer or oil the depth of the walnut colour is really enhanced.

Rog

Dodge":3neql9fa said:
thecoder":3neql9fa said:
Cheers guys

Dodge, is the stuff you mention widely available

Dave

You can get it direct from Behlens

http://www.behlen.co.uk/Merchant2/merch ... Code=DYEST

A small bottle goes an awful long way as you are only lightly wiping it on - it dries in about an hour and I think you can use pretty much any finish over the top - when you first apply the walnut appears to go orangey in colour but then when it is dry and you apply lacquer or oil the depth of the walnut colour is really enhanced.

Rog
Cheers Roger, I have set pieces of maple keys into the mitres, would the stain have a negative effect or just enhance it.

To be honest havnt tried on any other woods - if you pm me your full name and address I will put a small amount in a jar and send it to you so you can give it a try on an offcut if you like.

I've got to go to the post office tomorrow anyway

Rog

Dodge":39q7bxum said:
To be honest havnt tried on any other woods - if you pm me your full name and address I will put a small amount in a jar and send it to you so you can give it a try on an offcut if you like.

I've got to go to the post office tomorrow anyway

Rog
Very kind of you Roger. Pm on way.

Sand to a minimum of 240 grit (higher if poss) and Whatever oil you use finish with a coat of wax when the oil is dry.

Andy.

Back