Best finish for antique pine look?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Just made a bookcase for a customer which is a mix of pine and pine veneered MDF. They are going to stain it to match some other stained pine around the house and have asked me the best way to finish it. I know the previous owner of the house and am waiting for them to get back to me with what they used originally on the stairs etc, I seem to think it was some kind of brushing wax/stain.

Even if we find out what the original finish is I'm not really sure if it will be suitable for the bookcase as it looks like it marks easily.

I came across this stuff, anyone used the dyes and varnish from here? Was thinking maybe one of their pine stains and a couple of coats of their varnish on top?

https://www.littlefairs.shop/produc...aditional-wood-colours?variant=39424858947686
Am open to any ideas, I know pine can be tricky to stain, is a spirit based stain better?

I won't be doing it, just trying to point the customer in the right direction.

Think the staircase colour is what they are aiming for

bookcase 24.jpg

Any advice appreciated

Thanks, Doug

I've used Osmo Polyx Tints and Osmo Wood Wax Finish both have worked for me. They do small sample sachets to test colours.

Briwax - The original
Osmo - The new kid on the block.

I'd actually stick with the wax as opposed to a rather expensive osmo oil. The wax at least remains in the tin for years and years, long after the remains of the osmo has gone off.
Briwax is used by restorers, furniture crafts etc. Its long term tried and tested and blends in well

Briwax - The original
Osmo - The new kid on the block.

I'd actually stick with the wax as opposed to a rather expensive osmo oil. The wax at least remains in the tin for years and years, long after the remains of the osmo has gone off.
Briwax is used by restorers, furniture crafts etc. Its long term tried and tested and blends in well

There are some Fiddes wax products that are like Briwax but IME easier to apply and buff up.

Back