Best easy finish for Walnut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a couple of built in cupboards for a customer which internally have solid American Black Walnut shelves and Walnut veneered MDF carcasses.

The customer is doing all the painting and finishing themselves, before they ask me what do people think is a good easy finish for the shelves and carcasses which will bring out the best of the Walnut?

The cupboards and doors will be painted on the outside but the doors (full height) will have some of that brass diamond grille in so the Walnut shelves will be on view and hopefully a bit of a feature.

Thanks, Doug

Always had good results with water based polyurethane satin varnish from Johnstone’s, water the first coat down 10% then 2 more, de-nib between, 20 mins or much less drying time.
It’s my go to finish every time except for French polish. Ian

Thanks Ian, that is also my go to finish. Part of me just wondered if the Walnut deserved something better but I didn't know how oils etc would work with the veneered MDF.

If he asks I will suggest satin varnish but will also give him some Osmo etc and some off cuts to experiment with.

Thanks. Doug

For a one off easy finish I'd suggest the Chestnut range of spray finishes. I find their melamine lacquer pretty durable. The trick is to to heat the can in water first which pressurises the can a little and use one of those plastic handles that fit on top of the can ( which is too hot to hold ) As close to using a spray gun as you will get. :giggle:

I find oil finishes well on walnut. Either a Danish oil or Osmo. Easy apply and also easy to repair any scratches. Also doesnt flake like varnishes
Black walnut is very forgiving of finishes, most look good on it. I've used french polish but most finishes, whether oil, wax or poly all look good.
If you come across any old hand sewing machines you usually find the wooden parts are black walnut (most are made in the US anyway) finished with presumably oil-based varnish. They've usually survived decades of sewing machine oil dripped on them ;)

I'm making a couple of built in cupboards for a customer which internally have solid American Black Walnut shelves and Walnut veneered MDF carcasses.

The customer is doing all the painting and finishing themselves, before they ask me what do people think is a good easy finish for the shelves and carcasses which will bring out the best of the Walnut?

The cupboards and doors will be painted on the outside but the doors (full height) will have some of that brass diamond grille in so the Walnut shelves will be on view and hopefully a bit of a feature.

Thanks, Doug
Hi Doug,
I use Woodoc, 3 coats, de nib between each and you will get a lovely finish.

What you use depends very much on what is going to be on the shelves - in other words how rugged the finish needs to be.

Back