Best Detail/Delta Finishing Sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Shady

Shady":2h3eku97 said:
Neil - if you can stretch a little, have you considered one of these?

It's funny you should mention the Multimaster. I was quite taken with it but at the last show after discussing it with one of the pros on this forum I agreed with him that, whilst it was an excellent tool, I wouldn't get enough use out of it.

Cheers
Neil

I've got one of these Bosch detailsanders and it's pretty good. Comes with different shaped sanding pads (the accessories shown in the link) for really awkward places. Fairly comfortable to use with it's moulded rubber top as well. Should now have the Bosch 3 year warranty.

Pete

Hi Roger

Roger Sinden":1th6jpxs said:
I'm sure you must have seen this thread, Neil?

I'd looked at the first few posts and then discarded the thread, so thanks for the heads up.

I looked at the PCUK site for details and I assume that you have the 9444 Profile Sander kit. Would you like to see variable speed added or don't you think it's required?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil

Yes..that's the one. Wide range of profiles plus the usual triangular shape.

Tony has one as well, I think. [edit: Looks like I was wrong!]

Re variable speed...I'v never felt the need for it on any of my sanders...detail or ROS and even where it's fitted I never use it.

Roger

I guess I have missed the point - which would not be the first time actually, hard as it may be to believe!

But - I think detail sanders are the creation of the devil. They all put (usually cross grain) score marks into the wood that a finish will magnify and which then need scraping out which is how the area should have been tackled in the first place IMHO :p

Hi Chris

waterhead37":10qq7kac said:
But - I think detail sanders are the creation of the devil. They all put (usually cross grain) score marks into the wood that a finish will magnify and which then need scraping out which is how the area should have been tackled in the first place IMHO

Oh no! Thanks for your input.

Does anyone know if there are there any detail sanders (triangular) that don't give you score marks?

Cheers
Neil

Does anyone know if there are there any detail sanders (triangular) that don't give you score marks?

All detail sanders work the same way and have a small orbit. It's not so much down to the sander as the abrasive used, and the quality of the Mk 1 Eyeball, since all orbital sanders leave orbital scoremarks.

Chris hit it on the head.

cheers

Ike

Neil

GW Issue 161 has a group test. Specific comments relative to the DW were 'too short a cable for professional power tools'...a dead ringer for the metabo...pretty bulky...(they all are except for the Bosch GDA280E..good lack of vibration but not as good as the Fein. The PC I have was not reviewed.

Hope this helps

Roger

ike":lrnvv62f said:
All detail sanders work the same way and have a small orbit.
Ike

No. That is not correct.

In a recent review, one of them has different operation and came out a the recommended sander. Can't remember which so I'll look for the mag.

Tony's right.

GW 161 - 'apart from the fein, these sanders opertae on the orbital sanding principle'. Fein uses an oscillating action..a smoother action...guess it should be as it costs £250!

Roger

I have the Fein but not having ever used any of the others I can't compare the quality of the sanding action. However I have been very pleased with it although I use it more for general DIY than woodworking. It is amazing the number of things that I have done with it and then wondered how I would have done it without. Probably an expensive option if you just want a detail sander but excellent if you can use all the attachments.

Andrew

Yup - this refers to my original post - I paid £145 (vat inc) for it - it's the 'mid range' one, with variable speed, but not with all the extra gubbins - figured I'd buy what I needed as and when...

Pretty pleased so far: we've just re-finished a teak garden bench, and it handled some of the corners really well - it doesn't 'bounce off' like an orbital one does with that sudden jar, so you can work right in to a corner with confidence. Also put the saw blade on and zipped through some epoxy build up on the mirror dinghy re-build. I'm beginning to think it may be one of those under-rated but genuinely good bits of kit. FWIW, I'm starting to think of it as the 'swiss army knife' of small powered tools: sand/saw/rasp/cut/scrape, as you see fit. 3 year guarantee...

Shady":6g8ucxld said:
mirror dinghy re-build

That sounds like fun. Brings back memories of my father building one in the dining room then having to remove the french windows to get it out! and IIRC the garden gate had to go too.

Andy

Back