Best choice to finish a dancefloor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Been asked if I can sand and refinish a dancehall that is approx 380 meters square.

Needs to have a very hard wearing finish which is also anti slip. Also, ideally reasonably easy to apply.

I imagine my usual OSMO Poly X route will not suffice on such an area. need something more suitable for a basketball court frankly.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Have a look at products from Bona, a friend of mine finishes floors and he says it's the best. I used I think Bona Traffic in my house, not cheap but still looks fine after 12 years.

The professionals use Bona, it works!

I've used Rustins on a couple of occasions and had to re coat arfter a couple of years.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I refurbished a maple floor a long time ago, not even half that area and I wish I never did it because it absolutely killed me.

I was very apprehensive about doing it in the first place and if it wasn't for a sorta friend who was begging I wouldn't have touched it anyway but a bit of young naivety and being paid what I thought at the time was decent money for it... I went "Alright, can't be that hard can it?" said he who had never sanded a floor before.

Hired a big belt sander that's a bit like a big vicious Dyson and one of those edging sanders that's a bit like a ROS on steroids for about £100 and got to work, no word of a lie it took two days to sand this fairly small area back to a decent looking face and almost every part of me was aching by the end of it, the amount of dust everywhere was absolutely staggering on account of the fairly archaic belt sander spewing it everywhere so I probably spent another half a day clearing dust in the room and then to the finishing, which took another couple of days and I still wasn't very happy with it because there were quite a few darker patches of maple coming through where I hadn't sanded the UV damage enough.

Whilst I wasn't technically out of pocket it certainly was not enough to cover the absolute ordeal I went through (and I really could've been doing something else that paid far better) and I swear on my life I will never sand a floor for anyone ever again and I'll leave it to some other poor pipper to do. Just remember the only reason they're approaching you is that they've probably had a quote or two off floor refurbishers and they don't like it so they're trying to find some oblivious sod to do it for peanuts and break his back at the same time.

Oh yeah, back to the original question... No idea, I won't do floors :)

Be VERY careful before taking this on. Dance floors normally have a massive amount of damage from stiletto heels, the metal parts on tap shoes and from musical instruments and cases being dragged across them. This will making sanding back to an un-pockmarked (ie residual finish holding) flat surface, serious hard work. If you don't do it really well, it will show in the final finish and your client will moan and you will struggle to get paid. Get paid up front.

If you do take it on, get in writing at the outset that the floor is damaged and may not be restorable to anything approaching "as new" and no deduction can be made for that. I think the finish is the least of your worries.

My uncle used to do this kind of work professionally in the Midlands. They insisted on the rooms being fully stripped (all curtains etc out) before hand, the hall totally closed for the whole period until finish was hard, they had special contracts to deal with unforeseen damage discovered, they used seriously bid sanders with extraction, and full masks.

Their contracts stipulated that third party cleaners must remove dust from all light fittings and high level areas after prep. (or they made a scaffold charge - cleaning things like high level lighting rigs is a nuisance).

I worked in a private school for a while.........
it was a stunning Victorian Manor house.........hardwood floors everywhere.......
they refinish once per year in the dining room........
the floor gets no help throughout the year and being Manchester it's always raining with the childeren bringing in grit on thier shoes.......
I don't know the name of the product but u put or slop it on with a normal mop, looks a bit like milk........leave overnight to dry and it bullet proof.......
for another year.......
remember this floors gets cleaned every day...sloppy kids n food........

Thanks for the input everyone.

Think I’ll let it go. Either that or put a silly quote in for it.

I already put in what I thought was a reasonable price per square meter(i hasn’t seen it at this point it was just a guess) I was already quite shocked When he seemed to bite my hand off. Then he said they had had two previous quotes recently and I was like hhhmmmm

LBCarpentry":367g64ov said:
Then he said they had had two previous quotes recently and I was like hhhmmmm

Exactamundo, don't be the oblivious sod with the broken back and pennies in hand for it. Life's too short and time too precious to be doing such miserable work for so little real gain.

I know I speak a bit bluntly but it's all well-intentioned.

Trevanion":3mmtxyuf said:
LBCarpentry":3mmtxyuf said:
Then he said they had had two previous quotes recently and I was like hhhmmmm

Exactamundo, don't be the oblivious sod with the broken back and pennies in hand for it. Life's too short and time too precious to be doing such miserable work for so little real gain.

I know I speak a bit bluntly but it's all well-intentioned.

It’s not too dissimilar from how I talk. No time for fannying about if there’s easier money and happier days elsewhere.

I do believe that everything has a price though. And after hearing what everyone has said - I think I’ll double mine and ask for fultl amount up front. Take it or leave it.

+1 for Bona, I haven't used it for dance floors but it was entirely satisfying when applied on the floors of different places I took part in renovating, such as school rooms and mayor's offices.

Latest posts

Back