Best/cheapest pallet delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been asked to get a quote to ship a multico morticer over to Northern Ireland, I am getting prices around the £130 mark.

Has anyone had any similar experiences of doing this in the past? If so, who have you used and were they any good?

Thanks

The price sounds fair, I was quoted about half that price for a uk delivery.

I was put off when I read there could be up to 6 transhipments as the pallet is loaded on and off at each hub.

I would want to be certain the machine is fully stable on the pallet and ideally crated or at least well protected and pallet wrapped.

That seems reasonable, get an online quote from national pallets. I sent a big planer to Ireland a while back and it was a bit cheaper than that. The only problem with pallet couriers is like already said they get moved from wagon to wagon on their journey. Which of coarse means more of a chance of a numpty fork lift driver tipping it. Make sure its bolted to the pallet and strapped. I had a machine delivered recently and it was not strapped down by the driver, it ended up tipping over and getting damaged. I have used national pallets maybe 20 times and have had 1 incident. But I do think the quality of driver is becoming poorer and work is being done by agency drivers who don't care.

My old work always used Systematic to ship fish tanks. 15-30 would go out a day and you might get a couple of damaged tanks in a week.

The only way you could guarantee your machine is left on the same vehicle is if you used a man with a van type company, however that would cost a premium. I used one once for a few fish tanks but he was collecting other jobs at the same time, cost about £90 for a few hundred miles.

Have you tried putting a job on Shiply? No affiliation, but have used them a few times to move large objects about the Country. The secret is to wait until the delivery date is nearly upon you and you find people doing the same run will discount heavily to fill the last bit of space in the van/lorry. That tactic only works on popular routes of course.

I loved watching Shipping Wars!

Forgot about that site, looked into getting a car transported once and it's amazing how quickly the price drops!

Multico stuff is not that heavy, if your morticer is below 250kg and you can lie it down on a pallet you could do it on a quarter pallet price which is a lot cheaper than a full pallet rate. The rates go on height and weight. If it was on its side there would be less chance of damage from flt drivers

Wallace I like your idea! It isn't more than 250kg as I have moved it on my own. I would say that it is more like 100kg at most.

Back