Best carpenters square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":uhq6suv2 said:
The swanson thowing square is good:

Swanson-Throwing-Square.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_square

I've never had a Swanson. They look good, I might just get one.

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_SWAT108_T ... Square.htm

There you go Jacob. There is a 6" version too.

Can't recall where I bought mine, but it was around that price.

John :wink:

Bahco combi square does me for everything from site work to making furniture, very well made and precise, a few different sizes might be an idea though. About £12 quid on the bay for the 12"/300mm one.

The best combi square IMHO is the Rabone chesterman had mine for nearly 30 years, heavy but well built and solid.

I like Rabone-Chesterman too. Their factory was in my 'Manor' years ago. Very useful. My 4' Level is still dead-on!
I have two of their squares. (If I get the same reading from both I know the work is square.)

Then I had a chance for a good priced Starrett, with additional centre-finding head, so I bought that as well.
I think I am OK for squares!

John :tool:

Rabone Chesterman for me, I bought it when I was an apprentice, lost its paint but still going good, has drawn all my mitres I have cut by hand over the years. I purchased another few years back a smaller version not rabone and is very handy just like the first one for drawing lines but also running lines along edges to a fixed depth if you need a bit more depth than using your index and thumb holding the pencil and long finger your guide. It is also good for pushing in to depth for facing edge truing etc.

Just needs oiling occasionally to prevent rust though my newer one is galvanised finish to blade just a handy size for your pocket or nail belt.

I have the larger Marples type with rosewood in varied sizes but is mostly used in Shop or bench. I have also builders squares in timber made by me done on the faithful 3-4-5 method replaced when required and steel 1m square for roofing though not used much now along with a few steel rules varied lengths for drawing out.

I'm using Swanson 9" for rough carpentry more than 8 years, I can only say I love it!
And otherwise (1st and 2nd fix) I use 12" combination square.
Stanley, Rabone or almost any older 2nd hand would work I think.

Cheers, Frank

Back