Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Best carpenters square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

busy builder

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2008
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Location
Twighlight Zone The Highlands
I thought I had a good quality Stanley square, I've had it a few years now, but the brass part fell off today :shock: so I'm looking for a new one, must be able to take a few knocks as I'm on site 90% of my time. I don't want cheapo as they tend to rust.
Any suggestions ? I like the 9" preferably.
 

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,289
Reaction score
0
Location
Nottingham, UK
Not sure on the best but I use a Joseph Marples Carpenter's Square. Its very well made has brass rivets and brass ends, its one of my favorite tools!
 

jimi43

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2009
Messages
6,921
Reaction score
0
Location
Kent - the Garden of England
I think these are just beautiful!



Not entirely sure that our dear friend and member Rod (Harbo) is selling these but they are just classic art!

Jim
 

Jacob

Established Member
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
16,119
Reaction score
3
Location
Derbyshire
busy builder":1yxu3d3m said:
I thought I had a good quality Stanley square, I've had it a few years now, but the brass part fell off today :shock: so I'm looking for a new one, must be able to take a few knocks as I'm on site 90% of my time. I don't want cheapo as they tend to rust.
Any suggestions ? I like the 9" preferably.
IMHO brass, wood and steel square is strictly for bench work inside. A "carpenter's" square has to be all steel for site work and the sliding combination square has been the preferred option for a long time. Everyone should have one, they are really useful but strangely unfashionable!
If you get a second hand combi square make sure it has the pin. This is usually missing, but very useful for marking out.
They don't seem to make a plain 10" or 12" steel square which is the next best option (not counting framing/roofing squares which are another (specialist) thing altogether).
 

jasonB

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2004
Messages
5,044
Reaction score
0
Location
Surrey
i'm with Jacob on the metal squares and carry a combination square but am more likely to reach for my Johnson Rafter Square particularly when doing 1st fix I find avery useful, the longer stock sitting better on sawn timber. Don't get a cheap copy though. 24" roofing square alsogets taken out when its likely to be needed.

J
 

Jensmith

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
1,029
Reaction score
0
Location
Cheshire
jimi43":1mno6a9d said:
I think these are just beautiful!



Not entirely sure that our dear friend and member Rod (Harbo) is selling these but they are just classic art!

Jim

I am the proud owner of one thanks to the secret santa and though I think it's too nice for what the OP needs it for I can say it's had constant use since I got it and it's the best tool I have. Bang on square and a pleasure to use. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. Also stunning to look at :)
 

bugbear

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2004
Messages
13,074
Reaction score
0
Location
North Suffolk
Most site chippies I've seen use a moderately priced combo-square (NOT Starrett, M&W etc). They're accurate (enough), sturdy and versatile.

BugBear
 

jimi43

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2009
Messages
6,921
Reaction score
0
Location
Kent - the Garden of England
Silly me...did not read the complete OP post properly....you guys are absolutely right....cheapo sliding combination square is probably best...there are loads at bootfairs...they are unfashionable as Jacob says...hence cheap.

Jim
 

Jacob

Established Member
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
16,119
Reaction score
3
Location
Derbyshire
jimi43":mmwb57r4 said:
Silly me...did not read the complete OP post properly....you guys are absolutely right....cheapo sliding combination square is probably best...there are loads at bootfairs...they are unfashionable as Jacob says...hence cheap.

Jim
Best for fine woodwork too as they tend to be more accurate than the trad wood/brass/steel pattern.
Attractive though these are, they are easily knocked out by being dropped, getting damp etc. (OP - "brass parts fell off", see above). The blade is only fixed with 3 or 4 pins nailed through the wooden handle so it's not surprising that they are often out a bit, new or old.
I've got a 4" trad square which I use a lot because it sits conveniently on the workpiece without tipping over, but I had to fettle it to make it square. I've two others which are more ornament than use.
My combi square is Rabone and I have a 12" all steel Rabone ordinary square, both old but 100% accurate (in woodworking terms).
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,259
Reaction score
41
Location
West Muddylands
I find the engineers' squares ideal.

I wish I could find a reasonably priced 6 inch bladed one. Or a blade I could use with one of my stocks!

John :)
 

AndyT

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2007
Messages
12,028
Reaction score
471
Location
Bristol
Benchwayze":1e9hjj5g said:
I find the engineers' squares ideal.

I wish I could find a reasonably priced 6 inch bladed one. Or a blade I could use with one of my stocks!

John :)
I bought a 4" one from Axi which I rather like. The 6"/150mm equivalent is only £6.95 - but they may have changed the supplier, judging from the negative reviews.

 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,259
Reaction score
41
Location
West Muddylands
Thanks Andy.

Yes I have one of those somewhere, but it's way old, and might need truing. I was referring to the 6" or 300mm, combination square though, so maybe I didn't make myself clear! a failing of mine at times!

regards
John :D
 

lincs1963

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2011
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Location
Lincolnshire
Hi, this is my first post, but I hope I can be helpful. try googling 'swanson speed square'. they are solid aluminium and hefty enough to knock nails in with! all one piece so nothing to break or fall off.
I have been using one for 10 years now, originally bought for roofing but now used for everything.
They are available in 2 sizes the smaller one being ideal for dropping into a tool bag or nail pouch. mine has been used every working day for the last ten years and still looks like it did when it came out of its packaging, and to give you an idea of how much use it gets I have put on 8 full house roofs and 12 sets of joists since returning to work on the 3rd january.
Hope this gives you something to think about, regards, Neil.
 

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,289
Reaction score
0
Location
Nottingham, UK
I never take my carpenters square on site with me. I, as many, use a combo square. I don't remember where or its brand but it cost me over £10 and have done me proud for years while on site. Its also useful for setting blade heights. It gets used in the shop as well.
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,259
Reaction score
41
Location
West Muddylands
lincs1963":2wp8ao22 said:
Hi, this is my first post, but I hope I can be helpful. try googling 'swanson speed square'. they are solid aluminium and hefty enough to knock nails in with! all one piece so nothing to break or fall off.
I have been using one for 10 years now, originally bought for roofing but now used for everything.
They are available in 2 sizes the smaller one being ideal for dropping into a tool bag or nail pouch. mine has been used every working day for the last ten years and still looks like it did when it came out of its packaging, and to give you an idea of how much use it gets I have put on 8 full house roofs and 12 sets of joists since returning to work on the 3rd january.
Hope this gives you something to think about, regards, Neil.
+1 for the Swanson, on site.

They look a bit rough and ready, but they are accurate and work well. I use mine for guiding my hand-held circular saw when cross-cutting (Up to 12") Although I do clamp it in place with a G clamp! 'Cos I ain't a Pro! :lol:

Neil, They have a separate bar attached now to enable adjustment for corners of room 'wot ain't square'!

John :)
 
Top