Best Budget Compound Mitre Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all....

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best budget compound mitre saw on the market at present?

I spotted in my local Focus DIY store today an 8" 'champion' compound mitre saw with an inbuilt table saw reduced from £85 to £65, should I steer clear of this?, does anyone have any views or experiences with these dual purpose alternatives?

Thanks for your help :)

Hello JasonO, before I upgraded my compound mitre saw I was using a 10" made by Ferm purchased from www.screwfix.com £ 54.99 (19638 stock code) Although it didn't have an inbuilt table saw it did handle everything I needed it to do but I'd recommend changing the blade. It all depends on what you are going to use the saw for, hobby or trade ? As for a combination outfit, never used one but I'm sure others have and do :wink:

Dog, thanks for your advice.
The purpose of the mitre/table saw would be for light hobby use only, hence the reason for not wanting to spend too much money on it.
As I am some what limited for space, I liked the idea of the mitre saw also 'doubling up' as a table saw although I realise it will have limitations.

In that case you'll probably be ok with the Champion but you might find that by changing the blade you get a better cut, again blades are available from Screwfix, Axminster etc. There are some very good combinations out there but we are talking serious cash if only to be used within hobby work but as the other members will tell you, quite rightly, you only get what you pay for. Perhaps start with the Champion and as time goes on you might find you need a seperate mitre saw and bench saw but for now you should be ok and if anything goes wrong Focus are pretty good at refunds/exchanges :wink:

I picked up a secondhand Rexon last year. It was my first piece of workshop machinery, rather than power tool. The seller was upgrading to one with a laser. It is noisy and the quality of the cut was not terrific but having replaced the rip-cut blade supplied [why fit it with a rip-cut blade if it will only be used for cross-cutting?] with a Freud cross-cut blade from Screwfix it has produced delightfully smooth cuts. I noticed last night that it is a fraction off-square but not enough to worry about for what I was using it for. Might have to investigate some tweaking.

If I was buying again I would look at a sliding compound saw because I have been limited on several occasions with the width of stock that it will handle. Other than that it has done everything I expected.

Andrew

andrewm":1xxydg0j said:
It is noisy and the quality of the cut was not terrific but having replaced the rip-cut blade supplied [why fit it with a rip-cut blade if it will only be used for cross-cutting?] with a Freud cross-cut blade from Screwfix it has produced delightfully smooth cuts. I noticed last night that it is a fraction off-square but not enough to worry about for what I was using it for. Might have to investigate some tweaking.

Andrew

Been using my Rexon 10" (with the laser) for a little over a year now. DAMN good tool...... LOUSY dust colection though. Guaranteed the only clean area behind it is the inside of the dust collection bag. I could never figure why they couldn't make the bag connection compatable with a shop vac fitting.
<shrugs.>...
Other than that..... well worth the price.

Andy... Tweaking the fence is a walk in the park... lower and lock the blade into it's transit position (power OFF.... of course) crack the socket head bolts securing the fence and set a framing square between the fence and the blade. Just make sure the square isn't hung up on a tooth. There's just enough play in the fence clearence holes to let you tweak it perfectly square. Took me literally 5 mins.... made all the difference.

Re the Freud blade.... is that one of the thin kerf blades..? I've fitted one to my table saw... been thinking about doing the same to the mitre saw too.... worth it....??

Mike,

I have the same saw and must admit it is excellent.
In need of a bit of loving care and attention as its been
dragged back and forth from the workshop once two often.

But it is as you say a doddle to get set up and adding a decent
blade makes it even better.

Signal

Mike,

I made up a fitting to connect the dust collection point on my mitre saw to a vacuum, a waste of time :( .
The dust bag does collect some of the dust and there was no noticable difference around the saw with the vacuum attached and running :shock:
I am looking at making a ply or hardboard screen to limit the throw of the dust :roll:

Mike,

Thanks for the tip on squaring the fence. I have the 8" version where the fence seems to be an integral part of the casting so adjustment is probably elsewhere.

Re the blade. This is not the thin kerf version (I don't know if Screwfix sold it a the time) but I did put a thin kerf blade in my handheld circular saw. Excellent cut BUT it seems to flex on long cuts in 19mm MDF so I have replaced it with a standard kerf. It was producing slightly curved cuts even with a straight edge. This has contributed to my decision to get a table saw (it should arrive Thursday or Friday, ready to be shoehorned into the workshop at the weekend :p )

I noticed last weekend that my local tool shop has the 10 or 12 inch sliding compound mitre saw by Rexon but it was in the order of 500 quid so getting away from the domain of cheap tools. Agree with what you say about the dust collection though.

Andrew

A company called warehouse direct, never dealt with them, sell ToolMaster power tools, never owned one, and are offering an 1800W 305mm Cross Pull Mitre Saw with two extra blades, 40 & 80 Tooth TCT, all for £ 499.99 Supplied with 250mm 60 tooth tct blade www.whdirect.co.uk Dunno what the dust extraction is like though :wink: (Code L817)

bought my makita on special offer for £440 from b&q have seen the ls1013 from £430 - £540 on various online tool sellers .Best saw i have ever used

Looking closely at pics of ToolMaster power tools and Ferm power tools I'd say they share the same factory space but a different paint tank and as better makes with better reputations are appearing at equal or lower prices I think I'd go for the better makes but for now I don't need a cross cut pull saw.....but I can dream *Where's my medication* :p :D

At the risk of attracting all sorts of derisive howls I'm trying to persuade SWMBO to buy me the JCB branded sliding compound mitre saw from Argos for Christmas. At 100 notes I'm hoping it will be adequate for the odd weekend use, seeing me through making that bench I still need for the garage, staging for my new (but still empty) greenhouse, and maybe that patio lounger I've been promising my dear wife for the last two years....

I know it's v-cheap for such saws but some of us are only going to use them every couple of months and cannot justify the cost. I was aiming for the ten inch Ferm mitre saw from Screwfix for fifty quid but decided a sliding one will be more useful.... even if I have to contribute the difference....

Unless any of you have some true horror stories about this item I'll keep up the persuasive pressure!!

Trev....

don't appologize for buying in the price bracket that suits your purpose... it's not everybody that NEEDS a pro spec tool...

Personally... I've learned the hard way that Ferm doesn't cut it... for me; most of my heavy machinery is Rexon and I've yet to find fault with my decision (with the exception of the jointer... but that's not the tools fault).
Before you part with cash though... try to "play" with your tool of choice... fiddle with the parts you're supposed to fiddle wth... check that it can be adjusted easily when necessary... be sure that the arbour is compatable with good after-market blades... etc...
If you can... make a dust cover for the tool to protect it from day to day grime when not in use. Keep rust on the blade at bay with some of the spray applications. Most of all.... enjoy it....

:shock: Guys:

I was after advice about budget mitre saws and I see further postings with 4 to 5 hundred quid advice!
Way over my budget but thanks any way.
I have just purchase the sales newspaper 'Loot'...my goodness you can get some cheap mitre saws in there...but are they all stolen?

Regards

Jase.

I've not heard of 'Loot' but it's any interesting name and if they are all stolen, buy one quick but don't tell anyone 8)

Check out http://diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Home.asp some great bargains to be had if you are looking for Hobby tools and if you're not, well impressed with the prices and I've just placed an order so I'll let you know what the service is like :wink:

Hi Trevor,

At the risk of attracting all sorts of derisive howls I'm trying to persuade SWMBO to buy me the JCB branded sliding compound mitre saw from Argos for Christmas

Just in case you haven't seen, Argos now have 25% off all power tools so the JCB mitre saw you are interested in is down to £74.99. Not sure how long the sale runs for...

NeilCFD

Hey Neil.

Thanks for your Argos tip, however, for an hour yesterday I tried 53 seperate Argos stores on line to check their JCB mitre saw stock and guess what......all 53 were out of stock!!....I remember Argos being reported to WatchDog in the past for similar 'sales' tactics! :shock:

give it a go.....www.argos.co.uk

If you find one in stock, I will buy it for you as a Christmas present!!

Cheers.

Jason.

Latest posts

Back