Best British Cheeses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from an area where some of the best cheese in the world is made, the two at the top of my list would be Barbers 1833 , it’s a real tasty mature cheddar, and Exmoor Blue, smooth, creamy blue cheese, and not a harsh salty taste like Stilton. Closely followed by Somerset Brie, as good as any French one. A round of local goat’s milk cheese and you’d have a cheeseboard most top hotels couldn’t match.

Sheptonphil":230n51cz said:
Coming from an area where some of the best cheese in the world is made, the two at the top of my list would be Barbers 1833 , it’s a real tasty mature cheddar, and Exmoor Blue, smooth, creamy blue cheese, and not a harsh salty taste like Stilton. Closely followed by Somerset Brie, as good as any French one. A round of local goat’s milk cheese and you’d have a cheeseboard most top hotels couldn’t match.
OK, and thanks and all that, but bear in mind I need to be able to buy it without making a 400 mile round trip...

And Stilton is not necessarily harsh. Salty, maybe, but Colston Basset or Long Clawson could never be described as harsh.
Smooth and mellow. Mmmnnnn.

Local to me, good stuff: https://pantmawrcheeses.co.uk/

PMC_slide_1.jpg

I think the story with the tree planting was that they couldn't get planning permission for a sign on the side of the road for the business, So they planted trees in a big field spelling "CAWS" (Cheese in Welsh) You can see it from miles away :lol:

Another local good one: https://www.cawscenarth.co.uk/

They serve this stuff in the United Arab Emirates I'll have you know! :D

Well I had a nice trip out to Hartington yesterday and came back with a nice little selection. A Cheddar, Wensleydale, Ribblesdale Ewe and a Somerset Camembert. I also asked for a Stilton, either Colston Basset or Long Clawson.

"We have Long Clawson and our own Hartington. Would you like to taste it?".

It. Was. Fan. Tas. Tic. I just have to have the self-control not to eat it before I travel. So if you see Hartington Stilton, treat yourself.

Meanwhile, on the subject of American cheeses:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48915578

Why just at Xmas?

I have no car now, so my trips to out of the way towns are finito. Used to love the game pies I could buy at Ragley Hall open days! Will have to rely on online suppliers!

John #-o

Benchwayze":14zgleef said:
Cheddar and pineapple on cocktail sticks? Ughhh No ta!
My wife used to insist on them for a buffet!

Your wife has now hit legendary status with me.
Cheddar and pineapple mmmm

Steve Maskery":1vh012c5 said:
I'm with the Unadulterated Brigade.
Fruit = Fantastic
Cheese = Fantastic
Fruit and cheese mixed up? Er, no.

+100 it’s wrong

What is good though is Gorgonzola on a toasted tea cake / hot cross bun

It sounds like it shouldn’t be, but it it is

Oh shurrup please. I'm not supposed to eat bread 'cos of the starch! Not even my own made!!!

Thanks Garno. Next time I go to visit my wife, I'll tell her. No way of telling if she'll grasp it, but you never know. :)

This morning they gave me toast and marmalade dumped on top of sausage and beans on toast! Roll on getting home! :lol: :lol: :lol:

John (hammer)

Benchwayze":3oe594xw said:
Cheddar and pineapple on cocktail sticks? Ughhh No ta!
My wife used to insist on them for a buffet!

+1000

the combination of pinapple and ham or cheese is atrocious :D

I don't like apple sauce with pork either.

That's having my dessert and main course on the same plate!

It's down to taste of course.

I remember from the 40s & 50s, butchers used to keep sheeps' brains on the offal counter. Served on toast, it was a favourite of my old Dad's and I suppose a valuable source of protein in the dark days of the 'slump'. during the 20s.

John (hammer)

Benchwayze":1rjwxvlb said:
I remember from the 40s & 50s, butchers used to keep sheeps' brains on the offal counter. Served on toast, it was a favourite of my old Dad's and I suppose a valuable source of protein in the dark days of the 'slump'. during the 20s.

John (hammer)

I tried them once.
Just the once mind :D

Back