Best Bicycle lock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of good bikes as you go above say £500

I have too many expensive hobbies, so I have to extract the best value from everything I get. £500 that's a thicknesser!! :LOL: :LOL:

My bike is a old Triban 3. I've had it for 7 years and updated to Shimano 105 running gear, still triple ring on the front. Shimano brakes and Mavic Aksium wheels. 25mm tyres at 110psi, It still has the original bottom bracket!!, which amazes me, because I'm out in all weathers in rain, mud and grit. I would like to join a club, but it doesn't suit how I cycle. I'm always struggling for time and have to fit cycling round other things. I'll have a look at the Audax site and see if there is anything near,
I try not to think about going out when the weather is foul, just get dressed and set off, but the cold does get to me now. It's all different in summer. heavy rain is very refreshing.

I have a very nice pain cave setup
I'm looking for the whips on the wall, but can't see them!!:LOL::LOL:

That's a very impressive set up and I suppose it's the new way of exercising in the virtual world. Do you compete against other people on a virtual ride, is there control of the bike by the system to simulate hills? I could see that being a bit addictive. That is an impressive bike!!

I'm looking for the whips on the wall, but can't see them!!:LOL::LOL:

That's a very impressive set up and I suppose it's the new way of exercising in the virtual world. Do you compete against other people on a virtual ride, is there control of the bike by the system to simulate hills? I could see that being a bit addictive. That is an impressive bike!!
Yes to all, except the whips 😀
There are usually several hundred people in the same area as you when you ride. There are group rides, race events or just the chance to ride alone or with a few friends. Even Strava segments are supported and challenges. I rode a few challenge events through the first lockdown, even got medals and certificates 😀
The application controls the trainer to simulate hills and air resistance. I even have a fan that provides the right headwind level. You can draft other people while riding. Some trainers can even simulate the feel of the road surface.
it can still be boring though so I have a full audio visual system with Netflix, Prime and Eurosport.

Some trainers can even simulate the feel of the road surface
It sounds really good, especially if the trainer simulates the hills and other things. Much more realistic. I can see in the future it being a much more immersive experience, with VR and perhaps real rain and freezing wind??? nah!! that would be going too far. Can you race against virtual superstar cyclists??

It sounds really good, especially if the trainer simulates the hills and other things. Much more realistic. I can see in the future it being a much more immersive experience, with VR and perhaps real rain and freezing wind??? nah!! that would be going too far. Can you race against virtual superstar cyclists??
Yes there are regular events where you can ride with the stars. I’ve never done one because my max power output is similar to their rest day cool down levels. You can of course reduce the reality level of your trainer, cheat in other words, but I would rather face the reality. I live near Cheddar Gorge and regularly cycle it and have also cycled it virtually and it is pretty close in terms of effort as measured in power output. The real road though does feel easier as there are other factors, like adrenaline buzz from fear of failure, involved when you are on the real road. Riding on a bike on a nice road on a nice spring day is still the ultimate enjoyment for me but the trainer keeps me from vegetating through the winter.

there are regular events where you can ride with the stars
If I took my car, I might be able to keep up!! Sounds real fun. You must be a real cyclist if you won't even race a virtual star!! They really are in a different league.
I used to run competitively and in a race, I always experience the fight or flight response and felt I might die at any moment from sheer exhaustion, but the fear of failure and letting team mates down forced me to keep going. That's when you find that your body can keep going long after your brain tells you to stop. The buzz after was incredible!

Not the safest option but I don't lock my bike up for more than a few minutes (how long does a pint of guinness take to pour again... 😬 ) and this is portable. I carry it in a frame bag with a multitool, 2 pedro tyre levers tyre and no-glue patches. Living the dream.
Abus Bordo.

Plenty of good bikes as you go above say £500. After that it's the law of diminishing returns - less and less worth it unless you are into racing.
Didn't stop me splashing out £1500 ish Spa Cycles Titanium Audax! Lovely bike, strictly roads or good surface trails. Dawes Galaxy for touring, winter (and slightly rougher tracks but couldn't compete with a mountain bike).
Tried a trainer when I was recovering from leg injury - but very boring and gave it up as soon as possible.
We we've found is that however crarp the weather after about 10 minutes or so you are starting to enjoy it. Somebody will say "quite nice out isn't it" and everybody groans! If it's really bad you just come home sooner, or get better set up with weather gear.
In fact - the less you feel like venturing out the better it feels when you finally face the elements! Never regretted it, even when having to push home through heavy snowdrifts, as has happened once or twice!
PS just remembered - I was about 68 when I bought the Spa bike - never too late
PPS Sandyn 15mph average is fairly nippy! We used to do Audax and the bracket speed for most rides is slower - 15 - 25 kilometres/hour (including stops). Home | Audax UK - The Long Distance Cyclists' Association

I've been getting back into cycling since lockdown - but as I have been working full time from home, that normally means half an hour to an hour after work, so around 8-16 miles, 3-4 times per week. In the summer, I was usually averaging around 15.5-16mph, now it is a little under 15 - today's ride was 14.8. I'm 61 years old BTW.

All I have is a 4 year old Boardman hybrid that cost me £350 new. But I think is quite a lot of bike for the price. I wouldn't mind trying a proper road bike some time, see if it makes much difference to my performance.

So none of those century rides the rest of you are talking about - in fact the 21.5 miles I did today was my longest so far :) But I'm enjoying it, and have lost around 2 stone in weight and got significantly fitter since the start of lockdown, so it is serving the purpose. And when we do get back to the office, I intend commuting by bike (14.5 miles each way).

I agree about the weather. Numerous times, I have looked at it and been thinking I'd rather not, but get up & go anyhow, and after about 10 minutes you are enjoying it almost regardless. The only things that will absolutely stop me now are conditions where black ice is likely, or winds so strong you can't safely control the bike.

I wouldn't mind having a turbo trainer, but given that the fully interactive ones cost more than my bike did, I can't justify it.

As we are on bikes these are of mine....

Both carbon Cannondale is standard mod focus is high mod 2012 pro raced bike.

You can tell the difference.

Not much but a difference.

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_113256062.jpg
    IMG_20201109_113256062.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20201228-213818.png
    Screenshot_20201228-213818.png
    998.3 KB · Views: 8
Policed Cambridge in the 1960's for many years. Cycle theft was a major problem then and had been for long before my time. My advice now would be to have lock and chain for low value bike (used £200 or less) for shopping or commuting. High value bike - keep indoors or locked garage and don't let it out of your sight when out. If you have to use it for commuting get the best lock you can afford, secure it in a overlooked public area and try to vary your routine as much as possible. Remember that druggies are prepared to break into houses for much less than a £5000 reward.

The only things that will absolutely stop me now are conditions where black ice is likely, or winds so strong you can't safely control the bike.
Well it was one of those days today. Black ice all over the place, so I went out for a run...using feet...They came free with my body.
First run in 10 months and realised all my running muscles have shrunk away to nothing. It was grim, but over quickly. I always guestimated you could get the same exercise running for half the time of cycling, and it takes half the time to get ready.

Well it was one of those days today. Black ice all over the place, so I went out for a run...using feet...They came free with my body.
First run in 10 months and realised all my running muscles have shrunk away to nothing. It was grim, but over quickly. I always guestimated you could get the same exercise running for half the time of cycling, and it takes half the time to get ready.
But you’ll get less than half as far.

Back