Best and Worst buys in the last 12 months

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam":1xttdili said:
I searched axminster - and that didn't come up when I put plug cutter into search?
No, it didn't for me either. I ended up looking up the stock code in the catalogue. ](*,)

Ike, now that's a bummer. :( Wonder what the trouble is. :-k

Cheers, Alf

Does Axminster have a search engine or is it merely a lucky dip? The number of times I've searched for products that I know they carry but have been unable to locate them... :roll:

Gill

Alf":39ihynnt said:
Jake":39ihynnt said:
Comes up fine on a search for "plug cutter" (with quotes).
Yeah but other plug cutters came up without quotes. Not helpful for the poor searcher. :(

Cheers, Alf

It did get hits without quotes - therefore I assumed that was their offering. Didn't think to put quotes around it. Gill, like you, I find their search engine a bit rubbish!

Adam

Best Buys

LV LA Jack Plane (although horrified to find it had rust pits (?) on the blade and on the moveable mouth when I got it out the other day.

LV Large Shoulder Plane I love it! Great for trimming tenon cheeks too.

Rexon Morticer Excellent machine - built like a tank, well finished and does what it's meant to do very well.

LV Wonder Dog Blimey LV is featuring heavily here!

Axminster Apron Why didn't I get one of these sooner - finally a pocket not to lose my pencil, ruler, safety specs etc etc every 5 minutes!

Worst Buys

LV Spokeshave Haven't used this for a project even once yet! A little unfair saying it's a worst buy - but not exactly my most used tool. Still I've also not made a lot this year either - that may have something to do with it!

Axminster wide wheeled honing guide Bought it to sharpen the tapered blade on the LV Jack plane. Piece of junk if you ask me. First stop at the Tools show will be purchase of the new LV honing guide.

Titebond construction adhesive Not sure why I bought this. Got it home and read the back to find this stuff appears to be the most lethal concoction of chemicals imaginable! (If anyone going to the Tools show wants the unopened tube let me know!)

Good thread - interesting read. Although I'm pretty sure it's going to end up costing all of us at the Axminster show ...

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":3r8chaf3 said:
Good thread - interesting read. Although I'm pretty sure it's going to end up costing all of us at the Axminster show ...

Cheers

Gidon

:D I hear that axminster tools have booked their christmas party :eek:ccasion5: on phillys expectaions alone :tool:

Martyn

Adam":r1pxyjzc said:
It did get hits without quotes - therefore I assumed that was their offering. Didn't think to put quotes around it. Gill, like you, I find their search engine a bit rubbish!

I don't disagree, without the quotes it is useless. Just something to remember. I guess they don't have any kind of hit ranking system.

martyn2":13fdbxa7 said:
:D I hear that axminster tools have booked their christmas party :eek:ccasion5: on phillys expectaions alone :tool:

Martyn

Yeah, yeah, keep giggling.... :roll: :lol:
Philly :D

As a slight aside - I heard yesterday that Axminster and Screwfix were in talks about some form of JV/ merger. Has anyone else heard this? My source is not necessarily well informed so could be rubbish.

Cheers

Tim

tim":23lqoeuc said:
Keith":23lqoeuc said:
L-N dowel plate; dowels in any wood, made in seconds. I know they aren't always perfect but for pegging joints it's just the job.

Have you got a knack with this? How close to finish size is the timber when you put it in the plate? I have had real probs getting anything good out of it and would love to learn if there are tricks to it.

Thanks

Tim

Tim I have my dowel plate mounted on a block of oak about 25mm thick and with holes drilled through about a millimetre wider than the dowel. This keeps the dowel square as it is bashed through the plate. If I want a dowel as perfect as possible I split the timber rather than saw it so I know it has a good straight grain. I plane the corners off, then tap it through the size bigger dowel hole than I want before tapering the end and finally tapping it through the correct size hole. Some timber compresses as it goes through and you end up with a slightly bigger dowel than you bargained for.

As has been said already, there is a big difference between plugging and pegging .

I've just made 20, 16mm oak pegs, about 8-10 inches long for pegging a timber frame and it only took about half an hour

Keith,
A couple of very good suggestions there - I like the idea of the hole behind the dowel plate to keep the dowel straight for example. Thanks.

Keith

Thanks for the ideas. I've got mine mounted on a block about two inches thick (because it was there) but I routed a channel/ hole all the way through - as a result there isn't any directional support beyond the plate. This is leading to the peg wandering a bit so I'll try your suggestion.

BTW I am talking about pegs and not plugs. I think the Veritas cutters are matchless for this.

Cheers

Tim

tim":10x4jzse said:
As a slight aside - I heard yesterday that Axminster and Screwfix were in talks about some form of JV/ merger. Has anyone else heard this? My source is not necessarily well informed so could be rubbish.

Cheers

Tim

Very doubtful IMO, more likely to see Screwfix merge / takeover someone like Jewson.

Well its possible I suppose but Screwfix's weakness is their PT selection and mid to upper market offerings. Given that Kingfisher already own Sfix and B&Q, a more upwardly mobile tool supplier/ retail outfit would fit their portfolio nicely.

Cheers

Tim

Best buy

Scheppach 2500CI TS from a small woodworking show at Grahams in Chester

The new Record Morticer came out in October . got it from DIY tools Liverpool, this replaced the Perform from Axminster Tools which was no good if one is doing a lot of mortices

Back