Best Abrasive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kym

I totaly agree with what you have said and thankyou for the good advice, you may be correct when you say that the problem could be teknique although i do employ all the things that you have recommended.

That is why i asked the question, yes i do use 80 grit and follow through the grades sometimes down to 600 grit, but using the abronet i still seem to get scratches show through. I am not trying to say that i am not at fault and obviously you get along with it, but it does seem that i am not alone in my thoughts about abronet as a couple of other posts have said that they have or are going to stop using it.

It would be interesting to see if there is anyone out there that wants to champion it, it is not that i think that it is a bad product on the contrary i am sure that it has its place in woodwork/decorating and so forth, i just don't see it as quite up to the job for turning.

Regards

Berns

Berns, one of the worst things with sanding is long scratches, whatever the grade.
These can be avoided to some extent by rapidly moving the cloth around.

But the best option is to use some form of rotary sanding where possible, either a friction driven disc tool or a disc pad in a slow hand drill.
The scratches will still be there but because they are very short and in a semi random pattern the eye/brain does not resolve them.

If the brain does not see them, then they ain't there.

I think most folks would be pushed to see any sanding scratches on my pieces and I rarely sand below 240 grit on most woods.
Be prepared, with the piece stationary, to hand sand any difficult patches with the grain.
Scratches are hidden by the grain lines.

My final abrading is done after sealing with buffing system

Hi Berns,

I wonder if your scratches are caused by the grit-shedding (esp with the coarser grits) that I've noticed with abranet?

I will champion it for a non-turning application, though - I use abranet disks on my orbital sander for flat woodworking - and it's great for that. Seems to last a long time, doesn't clog, no need to line up the holes for the dust extraction and it comes in a wide range of grits. Pity it's so expensive, though.

I much prefer the Rhyno abrasives for turning use - no grit shedding with those and they are long lasting and come in sensible sizes (ie by the metre) - and the RhynoRed goes up to 1200 grit which is particularly useful for some of my high-end gallery quality boxes and turnings with epoxy inlays etc.

One thing abranet is good for in turning is wet sanding (ie sanding using a finishing oil as a lubricant to avoid heat-checking and also to grain fill with the oil/sanding dust slurry) it doesn't seem to clog as badly with the oil and it's easy to shake the abrasive clean if it does. The Rhyno abrasives don't seem to work quite as well for this - but the red one can be washed (I washed some after using it for wet sanding with oil and not wanting to throw away what was hardly used abrasive paper just because it was all sticky & oily). Hot water and fairy liqiud worked well, rinsed and left to dry overnight before re-use!

Thanks again Chas & Kym

I have ordered the rhyno grit from richard as well as a rotary sanding pad, i must admit that i have not tried the wet sanding method but i will now that it has been suggested.

I am taking all your advice on board and appreciate you taking so much time in trying to resolve my problem.

With thanks

Berns

Hello,

In fact, Abranet has been developed for the car finishing trade. Its only real advantage against traditional sheet goods is reduced clogging and good dust collection. Productivity and workers' safety are prime concerns for large factories. As everything in this world, abrasives are the results of trade-offs between the different needs and requirements of certain applications and uses.

The needs of small shop handicrafts are very different from large scale industrial production, but the goods on offer have been developed with the latter in mind. So we, craftmen (either handyman, or journeyman) can't always get what we want or need... :( That is, how the myths and illusions about "The Free Market" do end.

Have a nice day,

János

Another +1 for the Rhyno grits, ordered some from Richard on Thursday and it arrived today! feels great, only time will tell but I'm sure it will perform as well as described.
Regards Chris.

bogmonster":3i4hku99 said:
I will also give the Rhynogrip a try. I agree that the Abranet is too rigid and it does not last long - it works out quite expensive. Anyone know where I can get a punch for 50mm discs? I use the Simon Hope sanding pads and I am very pleased with them. Rather than cut circles with scissors I would rather punch out discs...had a quick scan and can't find anything...

Cheers, BM.

Actually had another look, is this what I need:

[url=http://www.powertooldirect.co...w.powertooldirect.co.uk/fprint ... 28375.html[/url]

I don't bother! Just cut it into 50mm squares. The paper is flexible enough for the corners to bend up and in fact helps soften the impact of the edges of the arbour and avoids the marks they can cause. Fine details need doing by hand anyway.

I use the Rhyno with the Hope arbour and have no problems at all.

That sounds encouraging Gordon i should get mine early part of next week, looking forward to trying it.

Berns

Back