Best 10" SCMS, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billhicks

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 10" SCMS, around £500/600...

Consider 3 options

Dewalt DW717XPS
Bosch GCM10SD
Makita LS1016

The Bosch was my first choice but it's the biggest and heaviest of the 3, not sure I'm keen on the front controls due to fear of them getting knocked and there's no laser. Reviews seem so/so.

Then considered the new Makita and got to test it. It's well made and feels quality but it has 2 dual rails and the travel on the top rail feels different to the bottom rails to me, I didn't see the point of it to be honest, there's a noticeable jud when you switch from the top rail to the bottom. Also, I didn't like that there wasn't a definite bevel lock at 0 degrees, there was some 'play' so you're never 100% sure if it's perpendicular.

I've now had chance to try the dewalt. The light system is really clever and the whole thing feels very solid, all the mitre and bevel indents lock with a reassuring click with no play at all. It's lightweight and has large cutting capacity. Rail travel could be a little smoother but it's main gripe is that the motor isn't soft start and kicks back when you turn it on.

Any other options to consider? or opinions?

I've had a 717XPS for about a year now and am yery happy with it. Not found the start kick a problem and it is a lot less than my previous saw. Been used from everything from studwork tall skirtings and general second fix to cutting large mitres in hardwood frames with very tight joints.

The light is very good unless you are in bright sunlight and its worth getting the stand if you are going to be doing site work.

J

thanks, does your have rubber feet on it? the one I tested didn't have rubber feet and slid around a lot.

I leave mine fixed to the clamps that snap onto the stand and they have rubber feet, will look to see whats on teh alloy base later

J

Latest posts

Back