Best 1/2" Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gromeo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for a new router as my "old" Triton MOF 001 just stopped working.

Can anyone suggest a workhorse (1/2") router that I can rely on?

Regards

Probably another triton. They are well priced and seem popular.

I love my makita. I've had it years and it's still in perfect working order. When I was younger and had no sense of mechanical sympathy I had one in a joinery shop I worked in. I flogged it everyday and it was indestructible.

Mar_mite":28rz49w7 said:
I love my makita. I've had it years and it's still in perfect working order. When I was younger and had no sense of mechanical sympathy I had one in a joinery shop I worked in. I flogged it everyday and it was indestructible.
+1 for Makita, "he tough as old boot".

The Makita is a good tool, I had one mounted in a table for a few years, the Hitachi is also a really well priced work horse, so much so that it was always a hire shops favourite, along with the Makita, which proves how robust they are.

I now use the 1400 Festool for most of my work and I cannot talk highly enough of it, again really not cheap at all but worth every penny.

The first router I bought was from B&Q under the brand name of T-Tec produced in collaboration with Trend, I believe.
I found it to be a total waste of money, and had no end of problems with it.
I then decided to spend more money in the hope of buying a better, more reliable router.
I ended up purchasing a Makita 3612c........... and 7 years on it still runs faultlessly and does everything I ever ask of it.

I can recommend the Trend T10 and T11. Bought the T11 about 5 years ago? and never had any problem with it other than being a pain to put in/take out of my table. My T10 I bought second hand very cheap, looked well abused but has sat under my table for 3 years with just a brush change. Not a heavy usage though, say 3/15 hours a week each for the T11/T10. Though at times the T10 has been used for several days of near continous use (only off to change bits/alter table.

These are the only two 1/2 routers I've owned so nothing to compare them to.

Had my Elu 177e for well over 20 years its sounding a bit squeaky but still doing its job well.Its a shame Elu is no more they made great stuff.I dont know what to recommend you buy new but it seems that the Makita has some fans here.

Cheers Bern.

Hi All,

thanks very much for all your inputs! At the end I have decided to go for the DeWalt DW625EK 1/2in Plunge Router 2000W from DM Tools.

It has great reviews, reasonably priced (£250), quality materials, and I have hope is going to last for good few years.

All the best
Giuseppe

gromeo":1srlqsr6 said:
Hi All,

thanks very much for all your inputs! At the end I have decided to go for the DeWalt DW625EK 1/2in Plunge Router 2000W from DM Tools.

It has great reviews, reasonably priced (£250), quality materials, and I have hope is going to last for good few years.

All the best
Giuseppe

that is what I have in the table. It is difficult to find fault with.

Berncarpenter":373edfxm said:
Had my Elu 177e for well over 20 years its sounding a bit squeaky but still doing its job well.Its a shame Elu is no more they made great stuff.I dont know what to recommend you buy new but it seems that the Makita has some fans here.

Cheers Bern.

Is it the bearings ? You can probably replace them. I did it with my 96e and it sounds like it did when new. I changed the brushes while I had it apart too. The total cost of the parts was less than £15

Back