Bessey Vice Clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm always keen to go sniffing round eBay for a real bargain, even more so since I got into woodworking. I've bought some old firmer chisels, gouges, a tenon saw, hand drill you get the idea...
But I think this has to be one of my most interesting finds:

55395882-87aa-02000180-.jpg

I took a quick liking to Bessey and their wonderful world of clamps. I only wish they were all an awful lot more affordable, you know! :(

The great thing about this piece of kit is how versitile it is. I've always found edge-planing in a vice rather awkward and the 'clink, clink, clink' really gets on my nerves. You can also remove the two parallel bars outermost to enable offset clamping for wedges, tapered legs and the like.

Maximum clamping width is roughly 4-1/2", a little dissapointing. One thing I do not like is the time it takes to screw, un-screw as there's no 'quick-release' lever as with many other traditional vices available today.

I recall someone mentioning good things about the Record Quick Vice a while ago and I think this deserves to be right up there with it. It simply holds to the bench/worktop using a couple of small g-clamps underneath, with a capacity up to 60mm - you can take it anywhere and therefore fix it to practically ANY surface. And I haven't shown this in the photo, but the two small cramps can also be repositioned to either side of the two front of back heads of the vice.

55395887-e193-02000180-.jpg

(Don't worry; I only use this old kitchen worktop on sawhorse method as a secondary/assembly bench! My other one needs a tidy up.) :D

As I said, I'm dead pleased with this purchase and am now keen to see how often I can really put it to good use in the (warmer!) months ahead. There was a very light surface rust/corrosion on the bars but that was cleaned up with a bit of oil and some wet & dry. No problem.

At less than £15, I think this was a great deal. And I'd suggest any one out there gives it a chance should they come across an offer. :wink:

Thanks for reading. :)

Hi there, Olly

That is one terrific bargain you’ve got there by the look of it. As you say, Bessey stuff is eye-wateringly expensive and short of auctioning one of my kidneys, I can’t see myself buying their clamps. How well does your vice cope with vibration? In the past, I’ve found that clamps which have quite coarse threads can sneakily unwind themselves if you’re using something like a jigsaw.

Regards.

not sure i agree about the expense of bessey clamps, they still seem to be
on special offer at many dealers, so around £30.00 for a 600 mm clamp which to me is more effective and easier to use than a record type sash clamp seems a good deal :)

even the longer ones seem relatively cheap on offer, although i agree the ssp is a major problem. seems we still suffer this stupid over blown cost procedure so that people can offer mega discounts..
why not a fair price for the goods at the get go, then the dealers could all earn a living, and we'd all get a decent service too :lol: :lol:
i can't help being an optimist. :lol:
paul :wink:

Hi Evergreen,

I can't say I've used a jigsaw with it yet, but with the sawing, planing and chiselling I've done so far the vice itself seems to withstand its grip well. Although, underneath, where the two g-clamps fix to the bench, there is movement as you give a whack with a mallet.

But a well-sharpened tool shouldn't require such brute force!! :D

Engineer one,

I appreciate what you say but unfortunately I speak as someone on quite a woodworking budget, I had to fork out £700+ in tuition fees for college in September! :?

I do own a couple on 600m's though, they were part of the deal with the Metabo SXE450 dual orbit sander from the Rutlands' annual sale this time last year. And I can honestly say I prefer them as well - I just can't afford them right now. So it's off to ToolStation I go...

Back