Bessey Uniklamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Restorer

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone use these clamps? I see from the Axminster catalogue that they're £12.55 for a 600x80mm capacity clamp compared to £27.55 for the the equivalent K body clamp. Why is the price so different? are the K bodys that much better?

Thanks

Steve.

Steve,
There's been a thread somewhere recently on these things. They are a nice lightweight clamp but despite appearances they are nothing like K bodies in use, having only a fraction of the clamping power.

I use my uniklamps a lot but not for gluing up big panels etc.

Steve

On the subject of clamps, I've been meaning to post about these F' Screw Workshop Clamps:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=116&r=2133

I use the 1000mm ones at under £11

I personally could never bring myself to part with £45 just for a clamp :shock: - far too tight :oops:

I first used them as an apprentice about 24 years ago and they are superb.
Although Bessey appear to be in vogue (Norm!!!) and are clearly very good (I have used them in a friend's workshop and they ARE impressive), I find that these, at 1/5th the price, are good enough for all my clamping needs other than edge jointing boards when I use cast iron sash cramps.

I highly recommend them and you will find no issues with clamping force - you will distort or even break the wood long before you run out of 'power'

Give 'em a go, I'm sure you will love them!!! (especially the price :wink: )

If you buy a couple of 1m 'F' clamps and hate them, I'll buy them off you :wink:

Tony":3pz906r7 said:
I personally could never bring myself to part with £45 just for a clamp :shock: - far too tight :oops:
Tony":3pz906r7 said:
If you buy a couple of 1m 'F' clamps and hate them, I'll buy them off you :wink:
Put these two bits together and consider yourselves warned he won't be buying them at retail price... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I liked the F clamps that Axminster used to do.
The reason i was looking at the Uniklamps and K bodys was for gluing up drawers. The K bodys state the jaws remain square so would make the process easier. Wasn't obvious whether or not the Uniklamps would do the same.

The Restorer":33potb42 said:
The reason i was looking at the Uniklamps and K bodys was for gluing up drawers

The Uniklamps remain pretty square like the K bodies as long as you don't over tighten them - then the bar bends and the jaws are no longer parallel.

I join nearly all my drawers with dovetails and they generally need very little if anything in the way of clamping - the Uniklamps are fine for this application. The K bodies are too heavy for most drawers I make which are usually under 18 inches wide. They could be my choice in drawers wider than about 30 inches but on the whole, I like to use a couple of band clamps for drawers. I usually make them with the tails and pins slightly recessed and plane the sides and front as required, so a band clamp is bearing on the appropriate places.

Latest posts

Back