bessey UniKlamps experiences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of upgrading my aluminium clamps, I can't stand them, they all seem to be falling apart after 3 years, was looking at these ones:

https://www.besseytools.co.uk/catalog/p ... gory/1126/

I know they're not the cheapest but I really want far better quality clamps and something that will last for a very long time.

any experienced users of the uniklamps? I will probably start with four and gradually build them up until there's 12 over the next few months,

also I should be going to the harrogate woodworking show this year and was wondering if it's worth holding out in case there are any special deals on them.

regards,

BT

I bought a couple a few years back....I hate them, they fall apart, there only any good for light clamping.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I bought 4x600mm uniklamps at the weekend - i’ll let you know :).
Was also planning to buy 4x1000mm this month too . Would also agree on the aluminium clamps being carp too - even with wooden stiffeners in, mine twist and distort every time i use them

Jonathan S":1f11wy6g said:
I bought a couple a few years back....I hate them, they fall apart, there only any good for light clamping.

interesting.... why do you hate them? presume you are referring to the uniklamps

I have a 2. They wouldn't be my first choice if buying more Bessey clamps due to smaller faces and small handles. Revos are excellent (they can crush the world and the plastic clips are great) but pricey.

DuoClamps are a nice mix of good and not too pricey. They'd be worth a look as they are very handy, parallel (but with a gap between faces) and can be used one handed. IIRC, they get cheaper when you buy 5.

They're fine enough. You can use them sideways to spread the clamping force along an edge if you need. I'd say that's not a bad deal. The clamping force isn't particularly parallel but they'll do for light clamping tasks.

I’ve 12 uniklamps 4x300mm & 8x600mm, they are my go to clamps for most small scale clamping in the shop & have definitely been a worthwhile purchase over the last 8 years, that said I went for the Revo’s for clamping over 600mm the bars on them are far more substantial.

I have a few of these.

They are pretty good. Not as robust as the higher spec Revo style ones but they seem to clamp parallel at modest pressures. If you can get them discounted down they are probably worth it. Not so much if paying full wack.

I actually prefer the Dubuque aluminium clamps as although the head isn't as wide, they are lighter and seem more robust.

https://www.fine-tools.com/bar-clamp.html

Fine tools are holding off on UK sales due to Brexit, so I think you have to contact them directly before ordering at the moment to make sure they get through. Isn't Brexit great?

I like them. Mine tend to get stuck quite often though, which is annoying (and yes, I am aware that you need to tilt the handle depending on which way you want to slide the head)

I really don't know why they're so expensive though, there really is nothing to them.

just thought I'd add I was going to buy some more rutlands sash clamps, I already have 6 of them and really like them but noticed they stopped stocking them and they also had bessey rip offs that seemed very good value, maybe 'dakota' got sued? :lol: anyway the search continues, dubuque look very good, so thanks for that bodgers.

transatlantic":2gd8ekr0 said:
I like them. Mine tend to get stuck quite often though, which is annoying (and yes, I am aware that you need to tilt the handle depending on which way you want to slide the head)

I really don't know why they're so expensive though, there really is nothing to them.

That's what gets me about them. Expensive for what they are, other brands (Rutlands ones etc) do the same for quite a bit less.

SamTheJarvis":icjfr5ml said:
transatlantic":icjfr5ml said:

That's what gets me about them. Expensive for what they are, other brands (Rutlands ones etc) do the same for quite a bit less.

The problem with the cheap ones in my experience becomes evident if used a lot, I had Rutlands ones years ago & after fairly heavy use over a a few months they started to slip under pressure as the serrated bar wasn’t hard enough & basically the serrations wore out.
If you are clamping infrequently then I imagine they would last for years but for regular use over many years the Bessey’s pay for themselves.
The only time I have a problem with them is if I don’t keep the bars clear of adhesive & the heads can then be difficult to move due to cured glue, but that would be the same for any clamp of this design, cleaning the bars whilst the glue bars is still wet is best if possible.

Ah that's a hole in my experience with them, haven't used either enough to have gotten them to the point of wearing out! I imagine the Besseys do last longer which, well, is a multiplier on their value, £20 isn't bad for a clamp that you use day in day out for decades!

The uniklamps are absolutely fine; had them for years as my first choice clamp. Can exert a lot of force but they're limited to that size - just enough for a standard 600mm cabinet. The Revos are nice but at 1500mm+ are properly heavy.

I use the ally clamps for helping out the uniklamps and they're ok (sort of).

thetyreman":3w3fm66i said:
Jonathan S":3w3fm66i said:

interesting.... why do you hate them? presume you are referring to the uniklamps
The reason I don't much like the uniKlamps is I payed a lot of euros for them only to have them fall apart.....see photo....I only use them on big glue ups when I have no other clamps available.

I would second what Droogs said about piher clamps......I don't yet own any but have had a play with some and the quality looks very good.

Jonathan
f22760d736ba4082f41630d07da5256d.jpg

thanks I appreciate the honesty,

piher look good, I'm trying to work out how to buy them though in the UK, would I have to order them from spain?

For value for money, I don't think you can beat the Record sash clamps or the t-bar clamps, they're not much dearer than Bessey or Piher and they're nigh on indestructible. I think they also come with an unbreakable guarantee, they're really something you buy once and never really have to buy any replacements ever, lifetime tool. The only downside is that due to their super-heavy duty construction they are a little heavy, but the flat bar Records aren't too bad compared to the t-bars weight wise.

0000531_irwin-record-1352-sash-clamp_500.jpeg

I paid £31+vat per 48" t-bar clamp from Zoro last year when they were having a 20% off sale, it was a hell of a bargain for something that will last beyond my lifetime even after I've abused them to hell and back.

I got a pair of Bessey Duoklamps, they're beginning to wear out now after a few years of fairly regular use. The little toggle switch seems to take all the brunt of the clamping pressure and the plastic surrounding it breaks away. Eventually, they'll become unusable, they've been excellent but for the price of them you'd expect much more lifespan than a few years.

Back