bessey UniKlamps experiences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Droogs":1pn7o6mw said:
I would put forward these as a suggestion:
http://www.piher.com/en/parallels-clamp ... rl-95.html
I've found them to be excellent clamps in fact not had any bad ones from them of any type
Got an email from Rutlands this morning, promoting their new own-brand range of clamps - they appear to be re-badged versions of the piher ones you linked to.

I've had a couple of uniklamps for a while now and found them to be pretty good. I think the handles are too small though and theres been the odd occasion where I've struggled to undo them. I ended up drilling a hole in the handles so I could attach a temporary tommy bar to make undoing them easier. Not sure what timber the handles are but they seem pretty tough, I was initially worried the holes would weaken them. They didn't.

the new rutlands ones look excellent, both their aluminium sash clamps and the bar clamps, the only thing suspicious about it is there's already two 5 star reviews on every single one of them, I would like some real reviews and experienced users before taking that risk, they claim you'll get a replacement clamp if it fails though :lol:

still pondering over which ones to go for, this could take months...

so far rutlands bessey rip off is the best option

If its any help, the only cramps I own and use are:
1. Alu sash cramps, like you have already
2. Uniklamps
3. Heavy duty flat bar sash cramps (similar to what trevanion posted) & T bar sash cramps.
4. Cramp heads

The cramp heads get the most use with a selection of bars from at 12" and 2ft. Anything larger or needing more pressure get the flat bar cramp treatment.
Nothing wrong with the alu ones as long as you gorilla them. I very rarely use the uni klamps, I find them a bit fiddly. I've seen the axminster equivalent and they look exactly the same (same price too) just a different colour.
As for the more expensive Besseys and Axminsters, the price has always put me off.
The T-bars I own weigh about the same as a small planet so they get used only when I've run out of available cramps.

scooby":1wboxhw3 said:
The T-bars I own weigh about the same as a small planet so they get used only when I've run out of available cramps.

"Small planet" :lol:

I've got an ancient t-bar clamp somewhere that's got 4" x 4" clamping faces, 3" tall by 1" wide bar and about a 1ft tommy bar on it. An absolute monster which is absolutely overkill for pretty much everything and you almost get a hernia from moving it around! I would love to know what it was originally intended for as it's not particularly long at around 1.2m or so, possibly glulam beam clamping is one thing I thought of.

Trevanion":2udndnvh said:
scooby":2udndnvh said:

"Small planet" :lol:

I've got an ancient t-bar clamp somewhere that's got 4" x 4" clamping faces, 3" tall by 1" wide bar and about a 1ft tommy bar on it. An absolute monster which is absolutely overkill for pretty much everything and you almost get a hernia from moving it around! I would love to know what it was originally intended for as it's not particularly long at around 1.2m or so, possibly glulam beam clamping is one thing I thought of.

Oh, that sounds interesting. I could have done with something like that to close some of the joints I made at college...a black hole wouldn't have closed those monstrosities.
Of course, I've improved since then.

Honest :|

I quite like the UK60s - nice and light and easy to position quickly. Not too pricey when bought in packs either. As others say though, clamping pressure's definitely not that even across the face (parallel) and they can be a bit sticky. I really like the big Axi clamps - bought four of the 1000mm when they were on 2-4-1 - but they're bloody heavy and can be quite unwieldy. Hadn't seen the new Rutlands clamps until today and they look like decent value, but definitely not jumping first with anything from Rutlands.

thetyreman":2tihmam2 said:
so it's either these or their version of bessey's.
:
A guy going by the user namer KPS1979 on Instagram put a post up about the Rutland Bessey copied ones he bought recently, the heads weren’t even square to the bar he was very disappointed with them.

I have a few Uniklamps, and I find that they are excellent. The clamping force is more than sufficient if the stock and joints are prepared properly and accurately. The handle size is more than sufficient to apply their rated clamping pressure, which again is more than sufficient for gluing up. They won’t close up gaps if the joints not been made accurately, but then again, forcing a joint shut is only asking for problems later on.

When ever I’ve lost or broken a protective cap on any of my Bessey clamps, they have ways refused payment and sent me a replacement FOC. I would be surprised based in my own experience of their customer care that any product defects wouldn’t be quickly resolved if contacted.

I have found that although Bessey are expensive, that when ever I’ve wanted to sell any of mine I’ve usually got virtually all my money back. The only other clamps I’ve found with this trait are the old Record Sash clamps.

Doug B":15yuog7d said:
thetyreman":15yuog7d said:
so it's either these or their version of bessey's.
:
A guy going by the user namer KPS1979 on Instagram put a post up about the Rutland Bessey copied ones he bought recently, the heads weren’t even square to the bar he was very disappointed with them.

mmh, now I'm having doubts, whoever on insta posted that should write a detailed critical review if they can be bothered, it would help us all out.

I just ordered some uniklamps 1000mm four of them, it works out cheaper anyway than rutlands and I think they'll be good enough for me, thanks for all the opinions very helpful.

Back