Bessey KR clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any deals anywhere on 60 , 80 or 100s of the Bessey K body clamps . Everyone seems to be quoting around the same price , I thought price fixing was illegal ?

Maybe the sellers just like / want to make a sensible profit , no harm in that !

Just because an item is for sale at the same price doesn't mean there is price fixing going on . (hammer)

The Rutlands clamps are good value compared to the Besseys but they aren't as well made and the clamping surface isn't as large. You pays your money and you makes your choice I suppose.

well the businesses need to make a profit or they'll go bust, bessey clamps are in the high end, you get what you pay for, I think they are worth what they cost.

In the spring the European sites had them cheaper than now, but something may have happened to our exchange rates... UK prices were usually very similar between vendors. D&M Tools sometimes have a sale, usually around their show times. Workshop Heaven also have them on offer from time to time. The best current deal seems to be besseytools.co.uk but not by much.

I love my Bessey KRs, but the black 'pressure caps' on the ends are extremely fragile, especially when cold. All of mine are snapped now and I can't find anywhere to replace them.
Maybe I am a bit too ham-fisted with them.

D&M are generally the best price for Besseys I find. You have to be careful with besseytools.co.uk as they price their site ex-vat. Adding the 20% on makes them far from the cheapest in the UK.

It's not illegal to advise a minimum recommended retail price, but what is illegal is restricting supply or terms for retailers who do not comply with the advised MRRP or any activity to support a MRRP. However, catching companies that do impose penalties is extremely rare, most retailers want a regulated MRRP as it ensures their profit level and stops the consumer shopping around. It is my opinion that if you find a product with a price that varies by very little where ever you look it's highly likely that it is not a free market.

I have a lot of Bessey clamps ( the best you can get in my opinion) and most of them bought from D&M I did order some from Bessytools about 3 years back but had to cancel after waiting nearly 3 weeks for delivery. I don't think they keep anything in stock and I also believe they do the same with Festool and other brands but I could be wrong

If you are a retailer selling a top end sought after product that sells at the mrrp then there is no incentive or reason for the retailer to discount .

If you're chiefly making furniture from MDF or other sheet goods, then Bessey Revo sash cramps are probably what you need.

But if you're making solid wood furniture, or you're making joinery products, then there's a lot to be said for traditional Record style sash cramps. And that's in terms of practical application rather than the fact that they're less than half the price of comparable Besseys.

I switched over from Record to Bessey about ten years ago, I must now have twenty or thirty Bessey Revo sash cramps and scores of their F cramps. Smashing products they are too.

But bit by bit I'm finding myself drifting back to using Record sash cramps. And on those really critical glue-ups, where two or three hundred hours of work will either all come together or all go pear shaped in the space of 30 minutes, then I'll be much more likely to choose Record.

I'm not 100% sure why that is, especially as there's obviously a huge amount of overlap in the practical application of both products. But on balance I think Record sash cramps force you into a slower and more deliberate way of working, using many more cauls, cramp blocks, and bearers. So I spend much longer preparing for the glue-up, but then I feel more confident once the process is underway and more likely to make those little adjustments that deliver that extra bit of squareness or those slightly tighter joints and glue lines.

Just my 2p's worth.

Sorry for the digression, but here's a nice example of the versatility you can get with Record sash cramps in a pretty complex glue-up. They're like Meccano components that you can integrate into jigs for some really tricky jobs. Where as Besseys are more of a one trick pony, absolutely ideal for square boxes, but without that flexibility for other tasks.

Record-Sash-Cramps.jpg

Attachments

• Record-Sash-Cramps.jpg
    Record-Sash-Cramps.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 73
Back