Bessey? How do you talk yourself into it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a footnote

Today, I puchased

Four 1m sash cramps
Two 2m sash cramps

Got these for half the price of four 1.25m Besseys. They are just too expensive for my tastes when one codsiders their minor advantage over sash and the fact that the sash cramps will clamp wood every bit as well as the Besseys

For info, all have painted, protected faces, T section rail, chained pins

sash cramps will clamp wood every bit as well as the Besseys

Exactly!!!!

Even in a professional environment, bessey are still over priced - thats why we don't touch um

You made the right choice and please let use know how you get on

Andy

Well Tony,

Now can you see why we talk ourselves into it? :wink:

I don't have any of the K bodies so can't really comment on them, tho' I've got a couple of the duo clamps which ain't too bad. I've always used Record sash cramps and have found them the best by far. The irritating thing with them is they always topple over at the most crucial time so I've made a whole tub full of these stands which are great. When the stands are used on top of the bar to support the job, there's no contact with the steel so no glue staining and in addition the pressure of the cramp is in line with the centre of the thread so there is no distortion of the joint. I also use two different types of cramping pad, one that slips over the bar and another that sits across the cramp head. I also make sure that any old crud is cleaned of the steelwork prior to a glue up with the sharpened end of an old cabinet scraper:

p2.jpg

.....oh, and one other thing, do K Bodies come this long? - Rob

p1.jpg

Ahh....think you got it, Al :wink:
As I was saying, Tony is, like, my best Mate in the whole world. If I won the lottery I would share it with him........ :whistle:
Philly :lol:

Alf":2n5nr5fr said:
I think Bessey and Festool will remain unowned by this woodworker unless the lottery win comes my way when I will buy the Besseys
Only explanation I can think of... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

......or they sell them cheaper than the lovely sash cramps i buy from machinemart :wink:

That day has arrived with the Axminster deal (just need another mess up at Axminster to allow me to buy a few more one day)

I bought 4 Bessey clamps at the D and M show and to be honest they are a pain in the backside .
In fact i would sell them to buy the cheaper axminster ones and lots of them . But then i do use alot of clamps . Anyone interested ?

I have a feeling that this is a volume thing. I have 40 to 50 or so Wolfcraft QR cramps, nearly 80 conventional G-cramps, about 30 T-bar cramps and extenders, about the same number of cramp heads, a Plano and various sundry F-cramps, etc acquired along the way (i.e. about 200 of the things, 300 if you include the edge cramps). The cost of buying that lot in Bessey K-whatsits would cripple me (at £7k plus), and I suspect many others. Do I ever run out of cramps? Well, actually, yes at times, despite the presence of an RF glue curer....... So you simply never have enough cramps and the more you can get the better. Only when you have enough does quality become more of an issue.

Scrit

Back