Bessey Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just throwing this idea in to see whether anybody thinks it has any merit.

With Bessey clamps being so good and so very expensive would it be worth taking a poll of members here and trying to consolidate a large order and then negotiating some heavy discount on a bulk ourchase?

I realise that there are potential problems as people are all over the place geographically and shipping could therefore be a problem but not insurmountable I suspect.

I my area for instance there are at least three active members within 20 miles and there must be overlap with others moving out like ripples on a pond.

Plaese jump in with comments either pro or con.
regards
Martin

Mahking,

A good idea and one that has been aired a few times but often without any follow-up being visible. Thats not a complaint at all just an observation. I don't want to upset anyone here. :roll:

The issues seem to me to be with the administration of the scheme and not the goods supplied. That is:-

1) Trust..how will I know that Joe Bloggs will not just run off with our money...that would be embarrassing to us all
2) How do I set deadlines, how do I present a catalogue, how do I get an order confirmed, how can I hold someone to the order without a contract, do I need a contract
3) How could I make all orders visible via web for tracking, how would I handle all the calls from active members
4) How would I organise drop ship...instead of the woodworking masses decending into my garage for collections from my garage.

It could be done BUT the organising of it is a bit a of a problem.

If you or anyone fancies a go at organising then I offer my services to design processes, negotiate with suppliers and work in the background.

Sounds a bit of a chicken and egg situation. How about negotiating a definite price first e.g. 30 day quotation, then canvas for buyers?

cheers

Ike

Martin

this can easily be done and has been on numerous other fora

I have a friend who has bought many items this way from a car forum.

Basically, you need to contact a retailer and ask them for the discount (and time for which the discount is in operation) and get an idea of the number of items that need to be purchased to get said discount

Post this to the forum and then see if the required number of purchasers sign up in the time that was agreed with the vendor.

No money exchanges hands until the required number sign up

Trust is the issue. Who administers it? Will they clear off with the money?
Well, theis could only happen once and so it is probably worth the risk to try it out

If trust is an issue, then I would be prepared to become involved if using a moderator as an administrator is any more trustworthy to people than a member? Can't see why I should be more trustworthy than the next guy but at least I have been a member for well over a year and a moderator for a long time too and thus am likely to stay around rather than running off with the loot :wink:

By the way, I don't want any bessey clamps :D

Can't see why I should be more trustworthy than the next guy but at least I have been a member for well over a year and a moderator for a long time too and thus am likely to stay around rather than running off with the loot

<sharp intake of breath> :shock: Oooooh! I dunno, what do you reckon?. Can we we trust im, or will we just be funding yet more jigs? :? :wink: :lol:

By the way, I don't want any bessey clamps

ditto :roll:

Tony":15omrtkx said:
By the way, I don't want any bessey clamps :D
And that was going to be my next suggestion for your Birthday pressie, Tony :roll:

Neil

i would be interested in a few clamps if we can come up with a reliable way to collaborate

Nice idea Neil, but I like nice and cheap Machinemart clamps :wink: Work fine for me and have always held the wood in place :lol:

As I expected, a number of valid queries/suggestions/worries.

I am sure that once an putative agreement has been thrashed out with a supplier it would not be too much of a problem to establish some sort of escrow account or somesuch to protect members money.

Maybe the bulk discount would not prove worthwile, I don't know.

I think that the idea of having a moderator involved is an excellent one.

How about letting this thread run for a bit and see what sort of quantities/cramp sizes members would be interested in at a sensible price?

I, for one would be interested in something like 4 K bodies @ 300mm; 6@600mm; 2@800mm and 2@1200mm.

Regards
Martin

ok, slightly off-thread, but what's the deal with these Besseys? A quick search on the forum shows bessey k-clamps and uni-clamps, and who knows what else, with opinion varying from 'the ultimate clamp' to 'over-priced tat' (to paraphrase).

I generally use general purpose G cramps, wolfcraft quick-clamp style things, screwfix cheapo quick-clamps (work like mastic guns), and screwfix alu sash cramps, and get on fine with them...so, these Besseys - overpriced, or worth it? Or does the verdict depend on the flavour of clamp.

Cheers
~Esp

Tony":2aypuvuz said:
If trust is an issue, then I would be prepared to become involved if using a moderator as an administrator is any more trustworthy to people than a member? Can't see why I should be more trustworthy than the next guy but at least I have been a member for well over a year and a moderator for a long time too and thus am likely to stay around rather than running off with the loot :wink:
Also, I know where he lives... :wink:

Tsk. You should have done this when Lee Valley had their big sale on. I believe some Aussies did, did they not?

Cheers, Alf

Not likely to be in the market for Besseys either, fwiw.

The LV sale wasn't worth it (from an import basis) Once all the usual shipping (K-Bodies not being too small...unlikely to escape tax charges), EU Tax and Vat extras were added, there was only a negible saving.

I was a bit surprised it was worth it, I must admit. Sounds like you looked into it pretty carefully, Noel! :wink:

Cheers, Alf

If memory serves me right the deal was $125 for a set of 4 (2 short 'uns and 2 long 'uns). That's £66 @ 1.90. Shipping roughly £30, EU tax and Vat and maybe an £8 charge for the carrier doing the paperwork for you. Roughly £125. Axminster, for example, 2 x short, 2 x long - £128. Not worth it. I've guessimated the shipping from past experience.
As far as I'm aware and I've looked in most places in Europe and the US, buying K Bodies for what I consider to be their true worth (max of 66% of current retail) is not possible.
Sure, I'd still like a few but more than happy with a dozen or so Pony pipe clamps.
In theory I think the OP's proposal is good but in reality, leaving aside admin and logistics, you'll do well to achieve 10 - 15% and that is simply not worth it in my opinion.

I think this is a good idea if it is achievable, Martin mentioned this to me on my visit to his workshop a few days ago.

I have to say that I have never used Bessy clamps until I bought some at the Ally Pally and woh what a difference it makes to clamping up. I know they are expensive and are they worth what is charged NO, but if a substantial discount can be negociated from a UK supplier then why not go for it.

Yes there is a problem with demographics but I don't think this is insurmountable, drop off points could be arranged.

Memory didn't quite serve me right. the LV deal was for 2 x 12" & 2 x 24" K Bodies. Much cheaper from the likes of Axminster, like £108.

Martin

Could you not get the supplier to do the work for you by asking them to provide a password that you could pm to interested members that would identify them as being eligible for the negotiated discount? That way everyone would pay the supplier direct. Just a thought!

Like Waka I wasn't sure what the fuss was about until I bought some Besseys. Excellent clamps. I'd love a few more (600s probably) but with the weight of them the shipping to France ain't gonna be cheap!

Cheers
Scott

Worth saving on shipping by buying locally? www.bessey-ser.fr
No good for importing but as you live that side of the channel?

Noel

I'll ask for their list of distributors Noel but if the prices of some other stuff over here is anything to go by it might be better to get them from UK anyway!

Cheers
Scott (..who's wishing the French would catch up when it comes to online shopping!!...)

Hi all

Why not set a deal where you pick the clamps up from a woodworking show? This also does away with the issue of the carriage costs which should further reduce prices.

You need to find one supplier, who sells Bessey clamps, who exhibits at a lot of the shows, and who would give you a good discount. Simple really. :roll:

IIRC the cheapest place for Bessies in the small quantities that individuals want to buy them is http://www.xpressconstruction.com/find. ... y&x=10&y=8

Cheers
Neil

Back