Bessey clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Could anyone let me know what the bessey uni-klamps are like and are they worth getting for gluing up and the like.

Derek.

They're light duty, pretty cheap and do a great job but have nowhere near the capability of a K Body, pipe or steel sash clamp. Similar strenght to alu sash clamps but much more versatile. A few 600mm UniKlamps are an excellent addition to any workshop.

Noel

I've not used them, but have picked them up and looked closely at them in DM Tools. They look OK, but no more, and very overpriced for what they are. The plastic heads make them look as if they are more than they actually are. It is just plastic around what is basically an ordinary aluminium F-cramp. I'd either save up for K-bodies if you really want the Bessy name and quality, or go for some other make if that is your budget.

Jake, I was under that impression before getting a few but they are better than glorified F clamps. The parallel end stops do appear to stay parallel and in a clamping situation where the two surfaces that need clamping are offset they work well. As I said earlier they're not heavy duty but very good for box and small cabinet work.

Noel

I have a couple of Uniklamps-very useful, and really K-juniors! Just wish they were longer. For the money they are really good-and a handy taster to getting your feet wet on the K-body slope! :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Oh well, we'll have to disagree on this. I can see the K-Bodies (and some of Bessey's other clever cramps) as a premium price, premium quality product. These have the appearance and feel of a merely good quality product at an inflated semi-premium price. Lots of brand-name money going on. Of course, I haven't bought any and used them in anger. But that alos means I don't have an emotional attachment to the product, which frequently drives our views towards products we own. I include myself in that too. Festool table saws are ace...

Jake":26fzkxat said:
Oh well, we'll have to disagree on this. I can see the K-Bodies (and some of Bessey's other clever cramps) as a premium price, premium quality product.

Problem is, I find them so quick, and reliably easy to use, I almost always reach for them in preference to my older Record Sash clamps. I *really* like my KliKlamps - they are so useful and fast - ideal for last minute "doh" moments during glueup when you just need an extra hand! I've got a couple of those Stanley Quick-Grips or whatever they are called - and they are awful. I won't buy any more.

Adam

Alf":1vor9heb said:
Adam":1vor9heb said:
I've got a couple of those Stanley Quick-Grips or whatever they are called - and they are awful. I won't buy any more.
These? I like them.

Cheers, Alf

"Quick Grips" - is what I mean I've find they slip off, don't clamp tightly enough, and are just don't seem to quite work how I want them to! Nil Points I think.

Adam

Forgive me if I'm talking out of where the sun don't shine, but I was under the impression that the purpose of clamping was to "hold" the workpieces together while the glue sets and not to force pieces together. Surely if you've got to use clamps to hold pieces together under force then there is something wrong with your woodworking.

I can understand where you need strength in say forming operations but general glueing up???

Col

ColG":2ofhiyhk said:
Forgive me if I'm talking out of where the sun don't shine, but I was under the impression that the purpose of clamping was to "hold" the workpieces together while the glue sets and not to force pieces together. Surely if you've got to use clamps to hold pieces together under force then there is something wrong with your woodworking.

I can understand where you need strength in say forming operations but general glueing up???

Col

you need to hold the pieces together while glueing up so that a tight and continuous joint is formed you never tighten the clamps as hard as you possibly can so that you squash all the glue out just enough pressure so that a good bond is formed also the pieces may drift apart as at first the glue is wet and the pieces will slip unless another fixing is used i.e biscuits.

Derek

Back