"Bernards" weekend outing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric The Viking":3omw2v8o said:
Wow!

And what beautiful results too.

If you don't mind me asking, Richard, what's the story behind your acquisition of 'him'?
I may have missed a thread -- I expect so!

E.
Hi, don't mind at all. The plane came from a large collection owned by a famous London cabinet maker called Max Ott.
unfortunately he passed away a few years ago, and his collection was sold through the David Stanley tool auctions.
I think Max must have sharpened the plane up because it cuts beautifuly. It was made by the London maker Thomas Philipson, and dates to around 1750-60. Its reputedly the widest british cornice plane ever to be found. General consensus is that it was proberbly made for export to America, as most of the 18th century examples have been found there. This is proberbly due to the fact that we have a tradition of running our cornices in plaster, where as the Americans favoured wood,

Although the first remarks made by the general public on first sight of Bernard tend to be 'GB' phrases; "Gorrr Blimey!" and "Gordon Bennet!" etc., he certainly does a fantastic job. That finish is gorgeous.

Back