Bent chopsaw fence.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just been using my dewalt 703 chopsaw for the first time this year. I've noticed that the outer ends of the fence seem to project around 4-5mm further out than the inner edges. :? That is to say, when I put a straight edge up against the whole fence, there's a 5mm gap between the SE and the innermost parts of the fence. I've flipped the straight edge over as well as tried different SE's. All the same result. :(

I'm pretty sure this wasn't there last year when i last used it. I've also noticed the same thing happening to the Bosch SCMS I use at work. My workshop isn't heated / insulated at all. Could the cold have caused it to contract and warp? Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Never heard of metal moving like that with temperature. Sounds much more likely that it might have got knocked when moving it about perhaps?

I'd expect a make like DW to have provision for adjustment of the two fence halves as well as alignment to the blade.
It is certainly useless as it is so well worth a go at adjustment.

good luck

Bob

I have been scratching my head on this one too!

There are a number of avenues open to you...

Whip the fence off and replace it with a spare part...

Whip the fence off and replace it with a homemade one (what I would do)

If it is an integral part of swivel base you may have to make a subfence somehow...although I don't think that would work because it would bring the fence too far forward.

I'll have a deeper look when I have a moment.

Jim

Just had another look at it. I'd say the gap is more like 2-3mm. Think I had some sawdust behind the SE :oops: It's still out tho.

The fence is one piece of cast aluminium. There are adjustment bolts to allow it to be squared to the blade but no allowance for adjusting the two faces. :?

May resort to taking it off and 'fine tuning' it with my 'fine adjustment hammer'.

It's just over a year old. I'll dig out the warranty and see what that says.

Cast ali is unlikely to take kindly to a hammer Bryn, gentle pressure over a period of time is slightly less risky.

Roy.

I would be tempted to get some flat stock either ali or steel or even hardwood and bolt it to each side with shims on the inbound sides to bring the two sides in line.

Jim

I had exactly this issue on the same saw. What I found was that when I released all the fixings that hold the fence to the base casting it relaxed back to a more or less straight position.

How it happened is another question, as it started off straight and stayed straight for some years and is now straight again. I think it could be down to the shape of the fence which is basically straight with a curved section in the middle where the blade comes down. The force of cutting pushes against this centre section and bends the fence in the middle.

Ed

The force of cutting pushes against this centre section and bends the fence in the middle.

My [relatively] cheap B&Q SCMS has this distortion, I assumed it was just 'you get what you pay for' but this sounds very plausible. The curved 'bridge' that runs behind the cutting slot should be stiffer.

I've also noticed a similar problem with both saws that I've owned - Bosch GCM 12 SD and Makita LS1013. They're very slightly concave in the centre. But, on both saws, I've fitted a longer MDF sub-fence so, I shimmed it out from behind with masking tape and they've been okay. :)

Hi guys,

I'm glad it's not just me! I had considered undoing the fence fixings to see if that would help. I need to get a decent engineers square first so as to set the fence back properly.

I've got a B&Q SCMS that I've had for years. The fence on that is a bit wonky as well but I also thought it was just a cheap saw thing.

I'll loosen it up and see where that gets me. I might also make a sacrificial fence anyway just to help with tearout.

I have an Aldi saw with the same problem. I just put it down to its cheapness. I tried to bend it very gently but just made it worse. I should have done as Olly suggests!

Graham

Back