Benjamin Seaton's Tool Chest Plan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be a good project, but I'm curious how most members store their tools. Personally, I'm leaning more towards the wall-mounted tool cupboard close to the workbench.

Seems to me that the toolchest, while excellent for those who have to move their tools around, would restrict access too much. I suspect I'd end up leaving things lying around the bench rather than constantly delving into the depths of these kinds of large chests.

What do the rest of you think/do?

I think I agree with Pete :D
I looked at the plans, though of Alf, though about the space in my workshop and said no way :shock:
But I have found these plans for a Classic Wooden Tool Box and that is on the list to build. 8)

Tsk tsk; you'll never fit enough tools in there... :wink:

Well I won't know if working from the chest is practical until I try. It is something of an experiment. As it is I've done the wall hanging cupboards (outgrew two, or was it three... the trouble is, if you have a changing tool kit, it makes fitted storage of any kind impossible you see), open shelves (dust and rust both a problem), racks on the wall (dust and rust again) and drawers under the bench (funny how the drawer you need to get to is always the one the clamping arrangement you've just set up happens to make inaccessible...). Due to the amount of storage requirements, the drawers, shelves and racks are still in use, but they're not ideal. Anyway there's something very satisfactory about whipping those tills too and fro I must admit, so I have hopes. :D If that doesn't work either then I'm looking at turning about 8ft of one wall into one enormous cupboard. Or else there's a big For Sale list coming your way :lol:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Pete, "the toolchest, while excellent for those who have to move their tools around"?! You want to try lifting one... :shock: :lol:

Ive quite fancied the tool chest option but not done so due to lack of shed / workshop space.
Having put lockable castors on my table saw and band saw which has worked out really well, Im about to do the same to an old whitewood chest of drawers which houses a range of tools and can be pulled out for ease of use.
Im saving up for a Tormek currently which will be housed on the top of the
chest of drawers.

DaveL":raebm62u said:
I think I agree with Pete :D
I looked at the plans, though of Alf, though about the space in my workshop and said no way :shock:
But I have found these plans for a Classic Wooden Tool Box and that is on the list to build. 8)

Hey Dave

I have nearly finished drawing my plans for just such a toolchest. 6 drawers of varying size. I will have them finished soon as this is my next project after the bedside cabinets I am currently building. I intend to post them on the forum if possible and maybe do another build 'diary'

Cheers Tony

That would be a good project, but I'm curious how most members store their tools.

Pete... I've half solved this prob by building a chop saw station...
ummmm.. best explain that I fitted a bunch of large drawers to it.... perfect for hand tool storage... the big drawer in the router table takes care of the tailed demons...

I find that for my patterns of work, the most expensive real estate is a wall next to my bench where I store the most frequently used stuff like chisels, some of my planes, scrapers and long layout tools like straight edges and rulers.

Delicate layout tools that can't be hung up get space in the top drawer under my bench. I find that in general, drawers are more useful than wall space because one can store more in them and things don't get dusty. In my case, tool chests without custom fitted spaces for everything are an invitation to clutter and damaged tools.

I like to make use of space under machinery if I can as in my Scheppach "Cabinet saw" - very useful for storing both tools and papers like instructions, plans and whatnot.

TS2000.jpg

Hi Philly
Nice little gloat there. Especially the way you just squeezed enough of the Jet planer in to be recognisable!

Lots of good - if conflicting - info :).

When I first started thinking about a workshop my original thought was lots of wall-mounted boards and racks for easy access to tools. Then as I read more, I started to get concerned by dust and rust issues.

Philly: do you have problems with dust-coated tools? Or is your dust-collection of such a standard to avoid the problem?

And Alf: think of that chest as your handily-located gym :).

Pete,
Dust is no big problem, I just vaccuum the racks over once every couple of months. Each little shelf for the individual tools is shaped to the size of the tool so there is little space for dust. Anyway, my tools are constantly in use......( :shock: ).
As regards rust, at the end of every session I wipe used tools down with a camelia oil impregnated rag. This prevents rusting and gives the tools the "David Charlesworth" Look. :D
I used to have built in drawers under the bench for my hand tools, but was constantly bending down searching for stuff. The wall racks are great, tools are right at hand. Also it looks pretty good for visitors to the shop!
regards,
Philly

Philly":ybfzkd3j said:
Yes, I've been taking "Gloat" lessons from our all-knowing Alf! :wink:
Huh. I dunno, you step over the border for a couple of days, and when you come back you find this sort of thing... :roll: :p

That sparse sprinkling of hand tools makes 'em look awfully lonesome, Philly. You'll need to work on that. :wink:

Cheer, Alf

Back