Benifits of a larger chuck diameter.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just been fortunate enough to gain a new boy toy in the form of a 125mm diameter chuck I've been 'needing' for some time it occurred to me that one of the advantages of such an animal if your lathe will accommodate them might be missed by some members.

I use Cole Jaws quite a lot, both commercial and home made and one of the things that niggles when using them on a standard 100mm chuck is that between the hole PCD spacing (usually about 12.7mmR) and the limited chuck jaw movement the size you actually want is invariably in no mans land and causes frustration.

The increased Jaw travel that a 125mm or bigger chuck supplies removes this frustration completely.

The 125mm Chuck gives 40mm diameter difference on jaw travel with jaws still fully enmeshed which accommodates at least two button positions, and for light cuts there is a further 10mm diameter available with jaws still within safe holding limits.

An older 150mm Chuck I have is normally fitted with the lightweight Spigot jaws which have very limited diameter range when fitted to a 100mm chuck (see simulated middle picture) but can be very useful if used with care and light cuts on the bigger chuck.

Attachments

• DSCN2382 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2382 (Large).JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,297
  • DSCN2384 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2384 (Large).JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,297
  • DSCN2383 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2383 (Large).JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,297
  • DSCN2377 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2377 (Large).JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • DSCN2376 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2376 (Large).JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,292
Have to agree with you Chas

Big is beautiful in the chuck world

I have several Axminster super precision's and a One Way Stronghold :p

What make is your pin Jaw chuck ? , is is a Poolwood ?

Blister":73tav3mf said:
What make is your pin Jaw chuck ? , is is a Poolwood ?

Well you may have seen it before associated with a Poolwood :wink: , I don't know what make it is but it originally had a thread form which meant it did not fit correctly on my 3 ph Poolwood and its rear flange was not compatible with the spindle nose, I've re-cut the threads to allow better seating and added a spacer to the rear flange.

richburrow":3ikinuf2 said:
That look brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would love one of those :mrgreen:
Must not look on the internet (hammer)

I'll do it for you then Rich :twisted:

<<<<clicky pic.

Paul.J":4txe6vd4 said:
What you gonna be turning with that then Chas :shock:

Nothing different to in the past I suspect Paul, it just means that I won't be messing around with so many different holding buttons or fiddling moving them to the next set of holes because they are a couple of mm too wide or narrow for the piece.

Mind you it should cover somewhat bigger pieces when swung out and using the Jaw Adaptors :)

Attachments

• Colejawadaptors.jpg
    Colejawadaptors.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,076
CHJ wrote
Nothing different to in the past I suspect Paul, it just means that I won't be messing around with so many different holding buttons or fiddling moving them to the next set of holes because they are a couple of mm too wide or narrow for the piece

Yes it is frustrating Chas doing all that.
I thought i had all/most sizes covered when i made my cole jaws,but there were more bowls that didn't fit then did when using them.
Looks like this chuck will overcome those problems i should think :D

Back