Bending Metal.... Wrench blocks & Block wrenches?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tip Top

Reaction score
This is a question about hand tools for metal bending.
My first job back in 1980 was as a bench engineer and involved a lot of basic metal work. We had a simple system for bending flat bar and rod that used two simple tools that worked together.
First part was a Wrench Block that was essentially an inch thick slab of hard steel (about 8"x6") with a few different sized slots cut into the top of it. This was held in a vice so that the slots were uppermost and used for holding flat bar. Second part was the Wrench which was essentially an F shaped lever... much like an open ended spanner.

We used them by placing the metal between the teeth of the block and the slipping the wrench on the protruding bar and wrenching it around to what ever patterns were required. A bit of strength was needed for the thicker stuff but it was surprisingly effective and capable.

I could do with a set of these now but not only can I not find them for sale but I can't find any reference to them on line at all. Has anyone else ever seen them orknow where I can get them?

Been searching for the same, no luck so far.
I'm sure they exist as there's plenty of people making shelf brackets etc, clearly having used them, on etsy etc.

Try searching Model engineering suppliers.

Some stuff at Chronos but not as basic as you describe.

Visiting a Model Engineering Show might prove fruitful, I know I've seen basic bending tools for use in a bench vice at times.

Back