benchstone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have one benchstone I bought time ago. I use it as an oilstone putting some oil on it.
The stone absorbs much oil, and a thought comes in my mind: could to be been it an water stone, because I have read somewhere that oilstone absorbs no much if nothing oil.??

Thanks in advance

Gepetto, it is very hard to say withour seeing it - can you post a picture?

If you try scratching and edge with a sharp piece of metal, a waterstone will scratch fairly easily, an oil stone will not.

waterhead37":gvzuutt6 said:
Gepetto, it is very hard to say withour seeing it - can you post a picture?

If you try scratching and edge with a sharp piece of metal, a waterstone will scratch fairly easily, an oil stone will not.

Hi waterhead37,
thank you because you answered my question but unfortunately I haven't any digital camera. I have never tried to do what you said but last sunday when I was honing a plane blade I seen that a side of the stone (it is a double face) wore very quickly.
However this evening I will try to do what you said.

Thanks.

Hi all,
yesterday evening I have tried to scratch the stone. It was fairly hard to do. Therefore , I think, it is an oilstone.
However this evening, I will try to submerge the stone under water and to see what it occurs.
Thanks for advices.

I guess it depends on the quality of the stone in that case... Having been blamed for the premature demise of said oil stone after an incident involving a sand pit, 10 gallons of water and some ashen faced 6 year olds, I've never dared to further explore their longevity in less than optimum conditions... :oops:

Back