bench seat/table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary H

Established Member
Reaction score
Still trying to get the 'woodshack' watertight in
Hi folks. Just thought I'd share my latest project with you all and see what you think. Sorry if it's quite a long post...

We needed more seating for Xmas - (ie. short-notice) so thought I would knock up a bench seat that could be used for a side table, kind of a dual-usage piece really when Christmas is over.

I used the usual favourite of mine - PINE and some off-cuts of mahogany for the seat, legs and edging strips. Then I used some of that strange hardwood I found a while ago which smells of cola when it's cut or planed :)? don't know if you remember) for the square plugs to cover the screws that fix the tenons on the legs and for the rail feet.

bench22lq.jpg

bench12dv.jpg

bench32bh.jpg

I tried my hardest to use hand tools as much as possible for this so the old Bailey got a work out on the large pine panels, as did an old cheapo spokeshave I found. ( it cut quite nicely once the blade was sharp and the paint ground off the sole :shock: ) I also cut the square holes by hand with chisels and the tenons/mortices for the legs and seat. I confess i used the bandsaw to resize the edgings etc. though.

Many apologies for no WIP shots as I've been working on it this week after work etc. so didn't have time....and errr... I forgot them too :oops: #-o

Anywho, hope you like them. SWMBO was suitably chuffed and I think Meg likes it too :)

bench45ur.jpg

Think I'll try a narrow hall Shaker-style table next in a similar style.

Cheers and a sincere Merry Christmas from the Hughes household :ho2

Gary

Gary,
I think it looks very good indeed - well done.

Just one observation and that is that the end strips on the seat are long grain, fixed across the grain on the seat. Wood movement might try and separate them in due course.

Gary,

Nice looking job. :D

Gary H":381zh2u0 said:
SWMBO was suitably chuffed
You have got the the highest praise possible there, take a bow sir. :) Do make full use of this chuffedness to order the tool required for the next job. :twisted: :wink:

Gary, looks the biz. =D>

waterhead37":ykcu63te said:
Just one observation and that is that the end strips on the seat are long grain, fixed across the grain on the seat. Wood movement might try and separate them in due course.
I did a very similar thing myself, many years ago, before I knew better :whistle: , and I can only assume my ignorance came equipped with a hefty dose of luck. I hope Gary'll get away with it too :D

Cheers, Alf

Very nice - and also very practical :D

Are the legs and top just one piece ? (They look like it,but also look quite wide)

Andrew

Gary H":3ibhtb4v said:
so thought I would knock up a bench seat

Knock Up? That'd take me months!

Well done, looks smashing. :wink:

waterhead37":31n79026 said:
Gary,
the end strips on the seat are long grain, fixed across the grain on the seat. Wood movement might try and separate them in due course.

The (preventative) solution ?

Nice bench by the way :)

mr":megpcw4k said:
The (preventative) solution ?

To get exactly the same appearance with a surefire method of avoiding problems would be difficult I think. Traditional solutions (involving dovetailed keys) are compromised by the thin section of the end strips (endcaps?) Nonetheless, that is probably where an answer lies.

Possibly a robust join in the middle with a major key glued to the strip and let into the seat top with minor keys (I like the odd pun -sorry!) glued to the ends of the strip and mating with keyhole slots in the seat.

It sounds fussy and complicated and probably is. I think trusting to luck is an equally viable solution! I have done it inadvertently in the past like Alf and got away with it (I have also come unstuck, well actually not - I was heading toward another pun - the glue stayed intact the wood didn't).

Nice job ! The contrast of the two timbers really sets the work off . I like it :D

Thanks for the kind comments folks, they are much appreciated.

Hopefully my luck (and joints :)) will hold out and it will stay together. I was originally going to 'breadboard' the ends but sadly the wider hardwood I had wasn't long enough. Plus I didn't think I had time to fit these into the project. This may have been the best solution. Now it's in place, we hear the odd creak when the heating is on!! EVERYTHING is crossed, believe me![-o<

Dave L - browsing the catalogues as we speak :wink: I think a Veritas apron plane may be in order in the New Year :)

Andrew - Yes the seat and legs are all from one length. It was a 12" wide, 3/4" thick,(ooo-er!!) 9 foot long piece of packing crate I got from work. The ends were cannibalised from an old drawer and the feet started out life as a table bought years ago from a pound shop - yes a hardwood table Tracey bought from a pound shop and gave to me - so I cut it to bits!!! :)

Thanks again all

Gary

Gary H":2mex4u4x said:
Andrew - Yes the seat and legs are all from one length. It was a 12" wide, 3/4" thick,(ooo-er!!) 9 foot long piece of packing crate I got from work. The ends were cannibalised from an old drawer and the feet started out life as a table bought years ago from a pound shop - yes a hardwood table Tracey bought from a pound shop and gave to me - so I cut it to bits!!! :)

Gary

So not only do I admire your finished project,top marks for recycling as well :D
Useful item for minimum outlay - what we all dream of :lol:

Andrew

Looks fantastic,

I think the 2 timbers look great together. Sometimes i think people don't give pine the credit it deserves as a good looking timber (me included).

Matt.

Looks great! One of those projects that looks like it will be used more than ever imagined when you first thought of building it!

Adam

Very nice job.

I'm with Wizer on this one. "Short notice" and "knock up" are not words that I get to use often!

Andy

Latest posts

Back