Bench Sander Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 'Lumber Jack' bench sander. Works very well--except for the table. Not very accurate. I find that when set in the horizontal position--180 degrees---the table will not hold accurately.
Different degrees on the table. The table is adjusted by the big knurled knob. See pics. Is this fixture of the table common on all bench grinders? Anybody had the same problem P1040351.JPGP1040349.JPGand overcome this?

Is the problem the disc and not the table, by any chance?
i.e, do you have to keep flipping the work around.
That's stopped me bothering to get a disc for mine.

Not that I've tried to get to the bottom of it, but I reckon it has to do with the belt drive design, as on mine it's not a v-belt like the one on badgers workshop channel, but a ribbed belt that can get damaged.
Maybe there is adjustment for it,I doubt it though.

I think the real solution is to forget about the disc,
put the machine on its side and make an edge sander with it.
That way you can use the drum for inside curves.

Tried to find a link for this before with no luck, but have seen it done.
I'll try find the article later.

Tom

A common problem with small disc/belt sanders. If, as I guess from the pictures, the table is only mounted at one end, it’s very likely to shift under any load. I have the same issue with the belt sander part of my Axminster disc/belt sander.

A couple of potential solutions:

1. Modify the sander to add a second trunnion at the other side of the table, so that it’s properly supported. Probably means some metalwork, and finding fixing points on the sander chassis.

2. Build a fixed table (from ply or MDF) mounted on the bench to provide a constant angle.

Can’t see this hav anything to do with drive belts.

It may be pointless making another bracket, is what I was trying to say.
Best do a test to see if it's worth it.

Tom

That’s a very common machine sold under a lot of brand names, yes, they all have a pants table on them, but then for the price it’s what you expect, they’re still remarkably capable, I’ve been abusing a Clarke branded once for 20-years and it’s still going, which surprises me. I can’t see an easy fix beyond making a frame around the machine for a new table, the machine itself is plastic and die-casting in my case

Latest posts

Back