Bench Rebate Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a bench rebate plane but can't justify the cost of the Lie Nielson one. So the first place to look seemed to be Ebay for a 2nd hand Record, or similar. No joy, but came up with, brand new, the Faithfull Bench Rebate Plane no. 10.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories

It was a pleasant surprise to discover that somebody is making these again, but are Faithfull planes any good?

At that price, £35, I'm guessing that they come from the Far East, and it seems too cheap to be of any reasonable quality.

Anyone know about Faithfull planes, and the bench rebate in particular?

Can't comment on the quality of Faithful as I have not tried one but I have found a second hand Stanley #78 to be an excellent plane and a good substitute for the missing #10/ bench rebate/ carriage makers' etc. from my armoury.
I know they don't have the same width but at 1 -1/4" they're not bad at all.

I've never had a No.10 or similar and can't say I've ever missed it.

As for the Faithful, I'd guess it will be the old problem of quality control - you might get a good one, or (perhaps more likely) you won't. Would a rabbeting block plane (like the Quangsheng from Workshop Heaven) be a reasonable compromise?

I reckon that the rabbeting block plane would a bit on the light side, Pete. For the lighter stuff, I already have a side-filister rebate plane, a wooden rebate plane and a shoulder plane. I'd like something with a bit more 'heft', hence my search for a no. 10.

I'd wait and get a Record or Stanley from the bay. They come up often enough but you'll be looking at £80-£100 for one in good nick.

I had a Faithfull No 7 once. The sole was so curved it could have passed for a compass plane!

Paul Chapman":2y2s62ue said:
Pennyfarthing Tools are advertising a Record #010 at the moment - looks to be in good nick http://www.pennyfarthingtools.co.uk/new-woodwork.htm

Cheers :wink:

Paul

- I wouldn't rely on their website as 100% accurate guide to their stock - the new address at Wantage is on the home tab, but 'contact us' still leads to Salisbury - and the recent items section has a good sprinkling of broken image links!

beech1948":g13ro6nd said:
If your considering a #78 then instead buy a Record #778. It has two metal arms instead of the Stanley single arm.

Al

And a proper screw depth adjuster.

BugBear

Sawyer":21sm6n02 said:
I've been looking for a bench rebate plane

At the risk of asking a silly question - what do you want to do with it?

If you actually want to cut big ol' rebates, I'd be more tempted by either a skew rebate or a moving fillster, both wooden, both superb, both cheap!

Skew rebates (especially) are very cheap.

Tuning woodies takes a little thought and care, but much good advice is available on the 'net from those who've gone before you...

BugBear

Bugbear, I'd use it for large rebates on stuff like door frames, which is why the greater width and weight attracts. To be honest, it's not at all urgent as I am pretty well equipped already and it would only get used occasionally. This is why I don't want to shell out £320+ for a Lie Nielson: however excellent it probably is. Alternatively, I'm skeptical that the £35 Faithfull would actually be any use.
I now note that Anant do them too. :| Don't think I'll be going down that route, somehow.

So perhaps I'll take my time and keep looking around. The going rate for a 010 seems to be around £90: not cheap , so probably worth looking at wooden ones. Ones I've seen in the past have been skewed though, so I suppose not ambidextrous, which is one of the 010's advantages.

'Bench rebate plane' though descriptive is a bit of a mouthfull. I much prefer the more picturesque 'carriage' or 'badger Plane'.

When I made some glazed doors a while ago (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/glazed-doors-mostly-by-hand-t39419.html) I tried out different ways of making the rebates, including planing them all the way, and rough chiselling followed by planing. I found that the quickest way was to use a narrow plough plane to cut two deep grooves, one from the face and one from the edge, then use a rebate plane just for the final tidying up. This also has the advantage of producing a potentially useful long thin stick!

AndyT":3b7oj2ah said:
When I made some glazed doors a while ago (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/glazed-doors-mostly-by-hand-t39419.html) I tried out different ways of making the rebates, including planing them all the way, and rough chiselling followed by planing. I found that the quickest way was to use a narrow plough plane to cut two deep grooves, one from the face and one from the edge, then use a rebate plane just for the final tidying up. This also has the advantage of producing a potentially useful long thin stick!

This is among the quickest methods (Sawing being another) for rapid stock removal and producing accurately cut rebates. :)

I purchased a Fathfull no10 carrage plane new, as it was on offer and ultra cheap, expecting it to be rubbish. But on taking a straight edge to it found that it was within British standard of 3 thou and the sides within a few thou too. So after a bit of fettling of about an hour it became a very good plane. The blade shapened up well and cuts fine, although its not up to LN quality, and I'm thinking of putting in a thick blade from Ray Iles, the Replacement Carriage Maker Plane Cutter Ref: RI001, costs around £18 to £20.

100_3731.jpg

beech1948":ezk6xd5p said:
If your considering a #78 then instead buy a Record #778. It has two metal arms instead of the Stanley single arm.

Al
Yebbut one arm is enough, and half the time to adjust!
Also the Stanley has a very clever design detail in that the fence covers the unused portion of the blade and so avoids cut fingers - a hazard with all the other makes I believe.

Dangermouse":2dkkf2fa said:
I purchased a Fathfull no10 carrage plane new, as it was on offer and ultra cheap, expecting it to be rubbish. But on taking a straight edge to it found that it was within British standard of 3 thou and the sides within a few thou too. So after a bit of fettling of about an hour it became a very good plane. The blade shapened up well and cuts fine, although its not up to LN quality, and I'm thinking of putting in a thick blade from Ray Iles, the Replacement Carriage Maker Plane Cutter Ref: RI001, costs around £18 to £20.

100_3731.jpg

=D>
Can't ask much more. Nice one DM :D

I can't speak for the rebate plane faithful do but I have just recently bought A number 6 fore plane made by faithful (actually after reading A reply from Dangermouse on cheap fore planes) and I am really impressed ,had to flatten the sole for about 90 minutes but what do you expect for £35. After I polished the back or face of the iron and reground the bevel and honed A micro bevel I'm really happy with it. . . . . .by the way thanks Dangermouse!

As noted far up the thread, the trouble with the low-cost toolmakers is consistency and quality control. It's always possible to get a good one, all-too-common to get a bad one. The very first planes I got were a Faithful set of No 5 and block plane (together with a sliding bevel, a square and a marking gauge). The block plane was excellent straight out of the box; the jack was rubbish and no amount of work could fettle it.

If you buy from a good retailer who'll exchange a poorer example it can be worth a punt, I think. But any time you get a good plane for little money you should count your blessings :)

Looks pretty good in the photo anyway, for what that's worth. At about 1/3 the price of a 2nd hand Record 010, I might be tempted to take a chance. If so, I'll let people know what it's like.

Thanks for the replies so far, everybody.

Back