Bench Plans for AP and others

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link Noel, very interesting. Now where did I put my dungarees..... :lol: :lol:

One question, why is the tail vice always on the right hand end of the bench? I need one to be on the left hand end to fit my shop. Ah well, out with the drawing board after all :roll:

Steve.

Nice links Noely, wish I could get my kids interested and active in the workshop!

StevieB":33cnancd said:
One question, why is the tail vice always on the right hand end of the bench?
It isn't, if you're a lefty. It's all 'cos of how the tail vice is usually used. It's mainly there as a carrier for a bench dog, which in conjunction with dog holes in the main bench surface hold work down on the bench while you plane it. To avoid damage to the vice it makes sense to plane towards the immovable dog in the bench surface, rather than putting all that force into the much more delicate vice screw. Does that make any sense...? :?

Anyway, yet another plug for BugBear's Workbench Links Page. You name it, it's in there somewhere.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,

Yup, I am a lefty :oops:

Also the door to my workshop is on the left hand end of my bench with a wall at the other end. To maximise space I therfore need the vice at the left hand end for 2 reasons now!

Cheers,

Steve.

I recall an article in FWW for a large bench which was for a left handed person. Shows slightly revised layout. If you want I'll try to look it up but was about 2 yeras ago.

Back