Bench planing clamp.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about working without a vice, and someone posted a link to a Roy Underhill episode wherein he made a clamp like two single quote marks, such that when a plank was pushed between the tails, the bulbous parts of the quote marks gripped the plank.

I've searched and searched, but I can't find it...

John Brown":2qac2bgm said:
A while back there was a discussion about working without a vice, and someone posted a link to a Roy Underhill episode wherein he made a clamp like two single quote marks, such that when a plank was pushed between the tails, the bulbous parts of the quote marks gripped the plank.

I've searched and searched, but I can't find it...

Not exactly sure I get what you mean by two single quote marks, but this is one way to plane without a vice that I've been using a lot lately:

https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/th ... ten-video/

the way it works is you have 2 camlocs that have pivot points that are 20mm dowels that fit into dogholes and you plaace them just far enough apart to let you push the plank into them and they jam tight.

Thanks, Droogs, but that wasn't what I was thinking of.

I bought my grandaughter some "training wheels" earlier in the year, against my better judgement, but I was overruled... in the event, I taught her to ride without recourse to said wheels, so today I decided to repurpose them into a dolly for moving 8 bt 4 sheets material. I made two pairs of those "scissor clamp" things, one at each end of 3 bits of 6 x 2 screwed together in a channel shape.
The weight of the board sort of clamps it in the dolly. Looks horrendous, as I did it with a jigsaw in the paddock, but works well on grass, not so well on gravel.
Maybe I'll make a better one with some pneumatic tyred wheels when I've got my shed set up. Except I really only need it for building the shed in the first place.

Back