Bench mounted router table ventilation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps, I'm working on my beech worktop-based otterman for Mrs KU.
I've made a box joint jig for my new bench top router table *fanfare*

mounted in the table is a freud 3HP FT2000, in my infinite wisdom I decided to completely box the router in (mainly for noise dampening) and the plan was to add a small HPLV exhaust port to hook up my shopvac/cyclone

I noticed this evening after about 20 minutes of work that the router was blowing warm air back out of the router plate. When I powered down and removed the router it was fairly warm :oops: I ran it in "free air" for about 10 minutes and it all seems fine.......

my question is, how much ventilation should I allow, would the HPLV port into my shop vac be sufficient air flow down through the router plate, past the router and into the vac to cool the router motor?

what sort of "normal" running temp should I expect under a prolonged period of fairly heavy usage?

thanks in advance
Steve

Praps if you posted in the right place Steve? This is the projects forum. Maybe a kind mod would move it for you?

wizer":31ls2xld said:
Praps if you posted in the right place Steve? This is the projects forum. Maybe a kind mod would move it for you?

REALLY REALLY don't want to be pedantic but its actually the section including projects and past mistakes.

The router table was itself a past project, and the lack of ventilation would seem (on my part) to be a past mistake.

however the lack of replies would suggest you are right :roll:

Audrey

Audrey, I think you've misunderstood the reason for this part of the forum. General Woodworking is the place for asking advice on general woodworking. This place is intended for project\build threads, WIPS and workshop tours. The past mistakes thing doesn't really make sense. But as far as I understand, if you want advice, you wouldn't ask for it in here. This is for show and tell.

But then I'm not in charge, just trying to help.

wizer":qwp26rm4 said:
Audrey, I think you've misunderstood the reason for this part of the forum. General Woodworking is the place for asking advice on general woodworking. This place is intended for project\build threads, WIPS and workshop tours. The past mistakes thing doesn't really make sense. But as far as I understand, if you want advice, you wouldn't ask for it in here. This is for show and tell.

But then I'm not in charge, just trying to help.

thanks for the advice :wink:

mods> could I request a moveature please?

Bungle

Back