Bench Hold Downs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just checking out bench hold downs, originally I was looking at the Veritas model but I see Axminster have their own badged versions. The Veritas as 80 odd quid and the Axminster ones are 20 quid. The Veritas ones look lovely as you'd expect but has anyone got experience of using them - are the Veritas really worth so much more? I s'pose the beauty of the Veritas ones is that they don't require a special collar meaning you can use them in multiple holes as required. Maybe I've answered my own question there!

Brilliant - thanks for pointing out the link - I'll have a read through :)

I have a pair from Richard, and I must say after plenty of use they work brilliantly and are a joy to have, I'm sure everyone else that bought them will agree, very impressed 8)

I too am a massive fan of the traditional holdfast - as hand-forged by Richard here, and his pricing is simply Victorian :wink:
But the Veritas will be very good quality, but way slower to use and I'm quite sure will not apply as much pressure. One thing about those holdfasts is how quick they are to use and remove. The other thing is the limpet-like grip.
The type that need steel inserts are a real pain as the whole point is to be able to place the clamp in any one of the dog-holes carefully placed in the top and front of the bench... so you would need a lot of inserts!
I would urge you to try the traditional holdfast first - it needs standard 3/4 holes, they are quite inexpensive and if you are not convinced someone here will buy them from you* and you have lost nothing as you needed the holes anyway.

(*that'll be me then!)

Thanks Doug - I've been talked in to the idea of a traditional holddown now! Look good though – might be OK for my other bench so I'll let you know

Doug B":13sfid3o said:
Unib,

If it`s the old Marples style one you were after this one is still in the offing if it`s any use.

for-sale-bits-bobs-t57056.html

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice and recommendation with the holddowns folks - I hadn't even considered the traditional approach! I'll see if Richard is still making 'em.

This does mean I now have to think about making a new bench top - the 'temporary' one has been on there now for about 8 years!

condeesteso":3ohffnhh said:
But the Veritas will be very good quality, but way slower to use and I'm quite sure will not apply as much pressure.
Not to particularly influence the OP's decision, but for the purposes of the record: While it is slower, the amount of, and controlled nature of pressure you can apply with the Veritas is incredible. It absolutely saved my life when fitting the Emmert patternmaker's vice, holding it in place when I was tilting it at all sorts of odd angles, but allowing me to move it the umpteen times necessary. And tilting that weight of vice you need to feel confident it'll hold. I love Richard's holdfasts too and they more than do the job for most of our purposes, but when I need to be 100% certain or accuracy is more important than speed, well I ain't getting shot of the Veritas any time soon put it that way. And honestly, I hesitated for yer actual years before buying it because I thought it couldn't possibly be worth the money.

emmert038.jpg

Attachments

• emmert038.jpg
    emmert038.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,385
Just wanted to say that my pair of holdfasts/downs(??) arrived today. Just got to clear my bench now, add a new top, attach my new (old) Toga monster vice and drill some holes...eta 2015.

Thanks Rich (the internet Smithy).

That's good to know Mike; - Holdfast/Valet

Look forward to hearing how it all works out in three years time.

Massively ahead of schedule...

Had a bit of a revelation today and bored two 3/4" holes in the 4x2 that forms the top of my saw horse. Used the holdfasts to secure some 8' ply that I'm using to build some outhouse shelves. They worked a dream! This is exactly the sort of job that I would normally need two saw horses for (involving much to-ing and fro-ing and swearing when a million tangled tools and cables and such prevented me from getting my second saw horse out of the bloody garage!). The holdfasts held the ply while I trimmed it to size without problem.

Moral of the story...holdfasts aren't just for the shed brothers and sisters, bring them blinking into the light!

Shane":1wbj3kcg said:
I have a pair from Richard, and I must say after plenty of use they work brilliantly and are a joy to have, I'm sure everyone else that bought them will agree, very impressed 8)

I couldn't agree more :)

Glad you like them Gary

and

Congratulations Mike, sounds like you have invented the Iron Age Workmate or "bench". :)

Used my iron age workmate again today and I'm getting more and more impressed:

P1010994.jpg

You might notice the clever way I bored the holes at an angle so that I can clamp and unclamp easily by twisting the holdfast rather than hitting it with a mallet. Any suggestion that it was in fact due to my inexpert use of a hand brace is a scurrilous slander!! :lol:

P1010996.jpg

Richard T":2dm00m1v said:
Glad you like them Gary

and

Congratulations Mike, sounds like you have invented the Iron Age Workmate or "bench". :)

I can't falt or recommend them highly enough Richard :) Again, thank you and I'll post pics of them in use - alongside a smaller set of "site use" counterparts - once I've overcome the technical blip concerning photography. :)

Back