Bench Hold down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the traditional hold fasts, I prefer the control of clamping things down with a screw thread, which is why I absolutely love my Sjobergs screw down hold fasts

However, they do have one issue, and that is that the handle often gets in the way. I noticed that Veritas does something that solves the problem.

V307972.jpg

I'm wondering if they can provide the same clamping pressure as the Sjobergs? does anyone have them? can you really clamp stuff down good and proper? the little knob is leading me to think maybe not so much?

I wouldn't mind taking a gamble if it wasn't for the steep price tag!

Having recently enlarged a hole in my 1" thick bench to accommodate a Record version
they do seem to be fairly heavy duty.
I find these things a bit more annoying compared to a large f-clamp that I normally use though.
Annoying in the way they tilt the work towards them, and require a block that's just about sitting (when clamped) on the far edge of the work overhanging by a lot.
Very noticeable when holding a door component on edge for instance.

Maybe a thicker top might be the answer but it seems to me, it's the nature of the beast.

Edit
I find these things quite difficult to lift up if say flipping the stock around, and liable to dent the work as they fight you if your attempting to lift it outta the way single handed.

Tom

Yes, I have Sjobergs Holdfast ST03 (Twin Pack)

Great reliable kit; no problems so far getting in way

I can't see anything more convenient than the traditional hold-fast Just the weight of the hammer, a couple of light blows and you're done; nothing to impede you really. I use a pair made by a forum member who, sadly, is no longer with us. He made quite a few and I don't think I am the only one with some of these excellent hold-fasts.

Still, you pays your money etc. . :D

John (hammer)

I have two of those veritas holdfasts and cant fault them. I usually bump the brass head and then maybe turn it a little to get some extra grip. Just need to make sure there's enough thread to be able to undo it. Your bench top being only an inch thick does concern me though. My experience of using them is when they are used in a 9 inch deep apron. Not sure if you would get the same results in something so thin.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Benchwayze":2mwxi0r6 said:
I can't see anything more convenient than the traditional hold-fast Just the weight of the hammer, a couple of light blows and you're done; nothing to impede you really. I use a pair made by a forum member who, sadly, is no longer with us. He made quite a few and I don't think I am the only one with some of these excellent hold-fasts.

Still, you pays your money etc. . :D

John (hammer)

I know everyone loves the traditional holdfasts. I just like the control of the threaded ones as you have more control of the pressure and they're far easier to adjust.

ColeyS1":2mwxi0r6 said:
I have two of those veritas holdfasts and cant fault them. I usually bump the brass head and then maybe turn it a little to get some extra grip. Just need to make sure there's enough thread to be able to undo it. Your bench top being only an inch thick does concern me though. My experience of using them is when they are used in a 9 inch deep apron. Not sure if you would get the same results in something so thin.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My bench isn't an inch, it's a wopping 40mm :) ... which I know is borderline useable, but the Sjobergs work great on it

The Veritas one looks to have a smooth shaft, compared to the old Record one I have...
This could mean that you can have a snugger hole to counter that tilting issue I have with it, on my temporary thin topped bench.
This would hopefully easier to lift out of the way also.

I'd be interested in knowing these things, as I wouldn't like to grind off the serrations for no reason,
if I tried and install it in a proper bench.

Tom

I have just bought a 3 metre beech worktop (Just before I went into hospital :( ) It is 40 mm thick. I am going to cut it in the centre and 'fold' it to use it as a 4.5 foot, 80mm thick bench-top. (That's how little space I have. ). I am told that is borderline for thickness. I think it IS thick enough, and the undercarriage I have designed will decide on rigidity; plus the fact that my bench is supported by a wall buttress, and there's absolutely no racking or vibration, even with the present 2" thick top.

John (hammer)

I use the original Record version with the small tommy bar and it sits in an iron collar in the bench top. Never had any problems with it but I sometimes wish I could fit another couple of collars somewhere on the bench top - Rob

OK, so I'm a cheapskate but, find the Irwin (and similar) Quick-Grip clamps work very well. Just remove the end cap and refit it under the table.

GrahamF":4gmrse7g said:
OK, so I'm a cheapskate but, find the Irwin (and similar) Quick-Grip clamps work very well. Just remove the end cap and refit it under the table.

I did try that, but there isn't really enough clamping pressure to counteract rotation for what I what to do. Yes I can use two, but then that's inconvenient!

I also tried the same thing with an f clamp. That works. But it's inconvenient to have to adjust it under the bench (at least with my setup)

yes - convenience is important to me :)

I’ve got a couple of the Woden variants that are like the original Records. They work well enough but I’d like to find a source for the metal collars that sit in the bench top. Any ideas on where they might be found?

Bit of a digression, but as the question of collars has come up twice, I'd like to ask if they are really needed? I've not used a Record/Woden holdfast that has one, so might be missing something, but as far as I can see they work like the old one piece version, by wedging against the sides of an oversized hole.
So do they work with no collar?
If the collar only serves to stop the rim of the hole getting mashed up, would a bit of conduit do instead, or even a bit of plastic overflow pipe, glued in place?

woodbloke66":182wkha3 said:
I use the original Record version with the small tommy bar and it sits in an iron collar in the bench top. Never had any problems with it but I sometimes wish I could fit another couple of collars somewhere on the bench top - Rob

Why can you not do this Rob? I would have thought you would know a metal worker who could make you some collars. :?:

Benchwayze":ak89jw02 said:
woodbloke66":ak89jw02 said:

Why can you not do this Rob? I would have thought you would know a metal worker who could make you some collars. :?:
That's true John, but unfortunately my old pal Pete Newton (Newt of this parish) who used to do odd bits n'pieces of metalwork for me (and others btw) passed away a few years ago. In fact, he was a superb metalworker; you could eat your dinner of the bed of his Myford, which was actually heated and kept under a cover. Some years ago, he was distinctly grumpy with the then 'Y'-Levers supplied with Clifton planes...so he machined his own out of a block of solid brass! He retired from the MoD at the top of his game, being the Director of Boscombe Down, the aircraft establishment just off the A303 at Amesbury. A great bloke and much missed - Rob

They do work without the collars Andy. As you say though, using them in that way does make a mess of the bench top. I haven’t been too bothered up to now but wondered if an easy option existed to have proper collars.

Back