Bench Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
New to the bench grinder.

What type--colour--of grinding wheels do you use for grinding chisels / plane blades & honing? What is the best compound of grit used in making the wheels?
Your knowledge welcome.

Proceed with caution , Normally you don't sharpen / hone on a grinder far to vicious , I only ever go near a grinder to shape my chisel initially making sure I dont over heat the tip , then when the shape is achieved use either a tormec or a Sorby pro edge , A lot of sharpening can be done by hand on paper , Look up sharpening videos on youtube

I use white or CBN wheels on a slow grider for turning tools - both too aggresive as stated for hand tool sharpening Sharpening rig.jpgGouge.jpg

Colour is actually a manufacturers choice. Industrial aluminium oxide wheels are a light grey but you will find white wheels sold to woodworkers. The important bit of information is the code on the wheel blotter. The paper discs on the sides of the wheels. Never remove them and put them on a grinder. They serve to even the pressure fro the washers when tightened. Here is the European code. Understanding the Marking System for Grinding Wheels

Pete

Back