bench grinder tool rest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share a few pics of the tool rest for my bench grinder in case it might be useful for someone in the future. I made it up out of bits of scrap metal I had lying around the workshop. Didn't go overboard with making it look pretty - it sits next to my old grinder I got from Fleabay, newly fitted out with a Norton 3x wheel.

The rest is allows me to set it to what ever angle I want from 90 degrees centrally up to suitable angles for blade sharpening. The whole rest slides on the base board and is held in place with a threaded rod that rides in a groove in the base. I also made a little square out of some aluminium which you can see in the third pic

Just tried it out with its first plane blade and all works fine(ish). I think my Norton wheel needs a little more work to get it totally true.

I've got a lot of planes and chisels waiting to be sharpened so it'll get put through its paces in the next week!

Dav

rest.jpg

rest2.jpg

slider.jpg

Looks good - replace the nuts with some Bristol Levers or wing nuts and save having to find a spanner :)

Rod

Thanks Rod, I was thinking that myself but haven't got any lying around, I'll have to get some ordered

Looks good, that'll serve you well, regardless of how much you spend on the grinder and toolrest it's the wheel that does the work and those Norton wheels are fantastic!

Cheers
Aled

Alf":kulsqjqo said:
Very tidy job, Dav. Guards removed for clarity I 'spect...? ;)

Agreed on the good job but sincerely hope the latter comment is true.
Wheels don't often disintegrate but if they do then the steel casings do at least limit the amount of high speed missiles available to modify the delicate facial features of a dedicated woody.

Ah yes - I should have mentioned the guards - the original side guards had obviously been removed at some point and replaced with some rather flimsy home made jobbies. My plan is to make some more substantial replacements. With hindsight it really would have been a whole load easier to just buy a new grinder :roll:

Unib":15dvdv2f said:
With hindsight it really would have been a whole load easier to just buy a new grinder :roll:
Ooo, no, where's the fun in that? Plus you'll be way ahead of the game when the world grinder shortage kicks in.

Going off topic , but on the spare grinder front, why is it that when someone strips a grinder and later relegates it to the surplus market they nearly always manage to loose the left hand thread securing nut.

CHJ":2mdkyzm2 said:
Wheels don't often disintegrate but if they do then the steel casings do at least limit the amount of high speed missiles available to modify the delicate facial features of a dedicated woody.

This is no doubt obvious, but I'll add it anyway in case it's not. I was taught that wheels tend to shatter when the grinder is first started (or in operation when unduly stressed), so I always stand to one side when starting up. I'll only move into the line of fire once the wheel is happily up to speed*.

*This is a bit academic as my grinder is hand-cranked (homer)

edit: nice rest, btw

Back