Bench grinder tool rest, anyone got a good homemade design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTR":2cuw059h said:
Thanks Jim. Is that a Metabo? It looks identical to mine :)

Crikey, those Norton wheels aren't cheap :shock:

No....they're not! :mrgreen: I love the way Mr Schwarz in his article fails to mention this...after all...it is key to the use of the grinder to the level of quality bevel that would result.

I am not sure what make that one is...I'll have to have a look at it. It was yet another bootfair find....a few quid if I remember correctly. But it was in a right state when I bought it. I managed to clean it up a bit and lube it etc....but I never got around to restoring it. I doubt if I will now...it only gets covered in crud after all!

The gearing is incredible...with the largest wheel that would fit (rather than the stump it came with)....once it gets going...the momentum keeps it running. It takes a bit of getting used to with the crazy handle release thingy-me-bob and you have to remember to turn it the right way each time or it hits you like a Norton kickstarter, the wheel stops dead and then the securing nut unscrews and rolls across the room.....but it fair licks along if you turn it the right way! :oops:

Show us a picture of your version mate....would love to see it.

The Bear":2cuw059h said:
Eccentric bush, whats that?

Mark

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Jimi

That was meant as a serious question, though I can see why it would make you smile :oops:

So whats the answer. I've not owned a grinder before

mark

Eccentric Bush - (in this case) what the axle passes through at the centre of the wheel - usually plastic these days and capable of being misaligned with the rest of the wheel. And NOT an elderly Hydrangea with a penchant for lemon tea and Marxism.

If the bush is out, can the wheel be dressed or is it buy a replacement?

Mark

I have just had one wheel off. A bit Heath Robinson to hold it but as far as I can measure the spindle runs out by 0.01mm or so. I would have thought that was ok.

Put back together still same amount of wobble as before so all seated properly.

So is the problem the hole in the middle of the wheel? Can the wheel be dressed easily to eliminate the wobble?

Mark

Jimi

Actually, the wheel has no sort of insert. There is just a hole in the middle that fits over the shaft. No sort of lining, stone straight onto the spindle. It is a good fit and should not induce the wobble I see.

The grinder and wheels are both creusen, so I thought I was getting decent quality.

Mark

The Bear":1sr67u64 said:
Jimi

Actually, the wheel has no sort of insert. There is just a hole in the middle that fits over the shaft. No sort of lining, stone straight onto the spindle. It is a good fit and should not induce the wobble I see.

The grinder and wheels are both creusen, so I thought I was getting decent quality.

Mark

Indeed you were...or rather should have been getting decent quality...so I think it could be a mounting issue.

My Creusen was really ropey when I bought it so I dismantled and refurbished it....the parts are all like this...

DSC_0039.JPG

Each side has two plates which hold the wheels tight on the shaft. I will have to go and have a look but the white wheel certainly may have only had a hole in it with no insert. It was a Creusen wheel too....

Try loosening the nut and see if the wheel moves about on the shaft...there might be play and you may need to adjust the wheel on the shaft tightening each time to test if the wobble still remains.

Is the wobble side to side or in and out? You may need to dress the wheel.

How old is the grinder? Do you have any pictures?

Jim

Jim

Yes the wheels wobble side to side as well as in and out. Having run it there is no vibration. The manual suggests some wobble in both planes is acceptable but I think it is a bit more than they allow. I will try readjusting the wheel on the shaft over the weekend.

The grinder is an Axminster customer return, so practically new but definitely been used. I do not know the reason for the return, probably this. Bought on eBay the listing suggested it was fit for purpose, and I think it is with a bit of fettling. I paid £73 for a £230 grinder but that will only be a bargain once I'm happy with it. Model is 7200T I think.

Mark

jimi43":2na3ato6 said:
It takes a bit of getting used to with the crazy handle release thingy-me-bob and you have to remember to turn it the right way each time or it hits you like a Norton kickstarter, the wheel stops dead and then the securing nut unscrews and rolls across the room.....but it fair licks along if you turn it the right way! :oops:

Show us a picture of your version mate....would love to see it.

Jim

I thought the crazy handle release thingy-me-bob was rather clever in principle but a pain in the khyber in use. I wanted to add a spring to it to see if it improved things but I didn't have one handy. Instead I packed the shaft out with washers. It works great until there's an unplanned handle / body part interface.

Here's mine:

DSC_8556.jpg

DSC_8546.jpg

I wonder if the "foreign" has anything to do with the M8 threads?

Hi Mark

If there is inward/outward play then the wheel is either not dressed properly or more likely needs lining up better.

The wobble from side to side also indicates the latter. I would pack it out with a cardboard shim around the shaft to centre the wheel...clamp it up and then try it.

Yes....DTR...looks just like mine but in much better nick! I would go for a new wheel myself. That one looks very coarse...though some prefer that. But the fine one I have works much better that the original which looks a bit like yours.

Jim

I've checked the wheel with the dial. Front to back it runs out 0.22 mm, which is within the limits in the manual. Side to side it runs out 0.6mm, the limit is 0.5mm so is only just out. I'm therefore wondering whether to leave this side alone?

The other side I need to measure further but front to back the wheel runs out 0.8mm. The limit is 0.3mm so that side is well out.

There isn't really enough room between spindle and bore to put card shims in, the fit actually by eye looks quite good. Is there some very thin tape I could wind round the spindle to try Jims idea of packing it out?

Mark

The Bear":38cfuaiw said:
I've checked the wheel with the dial. Front to back it runs out 0.22 mm, which is within the limits in the manual. Side to side it runs out 0.6mm, the limit is 0.5mm so is only just out. I'm therefore wondering whether to leave this side alone?

The other side I need to measure further but front to back the wheel runs out 0.8mm. The limit is 0.3mm so that side is well out.

There isn't really enough room between spindle and bore to put card shims in, the fit actually by eye looks quite good. Is there some very thin tape I could wind round the spindle to try Jims idea of packing it out?

Mark

If the wheels are tight on the arbours then they don't really need shimming. You would only do that if you wanted to centre them and tighten. If you have play...use paper shims or greaseproof paper will be more robust. The idea is to centre the wheel on the arbour the best you can with a tight fit...tighten up the nut/washer and then check.

Any play on the surface can then be removed by dressing the stone. You can use the cheap dressing/grading blocks (course abrasive)....but it is best to invest in a proper diamond dressing block from FleaBay LIKE THIS ONE. Go gently, and introduce the dressing block to the wheel slowly until you hear the wheel touch the surface of the dresser.

You slowly introduce the dresser until the wheel rubs all the way around. This is now concentric with the arbour.

Don't worry too much about the side play. A small amount is ok and you should NEVER use the side of the wheel anyway...it may shatter!

Jim

Back