Bench Grinder (or sharpening system)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Oddbod

Established Member
Reaction score
I've a significant number of chisels, turning tools, gouges & planes (mostly my late father's) which are in need of refurbishment as the primary bevels are all over the place.
Added to that, I need something to sharpen mower, strimmer & shredder blades.
I'm thinking a bench grinder will do most of this but is there any advantage in buying something like the Sorby or Tormek systems, or will a decent grinder plus my diamond sharpening stones achieve what's needed?
If so, which bench grinders do people recommend, especially as I'd rather "buy once, cry once" than spend on an inexpensive model which has "issues".

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
Cant advise on UK brands but any decent 8'' bench grinder will do. Change out one of the grey wheels for a white aluminum oxide wheel and its good to go. A CBN wheel is a bit better if you have the cash but the white wheel does pretty good. Get or make a bench mounted tool rest to replace the grinder rests as they are not the easiest to use for sharpening.
Veritas Grinder Tool Rest - YouTube
That kind of rest does not need to be any particular brand. I have a bought one and a home made wooden one and both work equally well.
I got a scheppach wet grinder back when I started turning and while they do a good job at getting things sharp its just so slow. I went back to the bench grinder as I would rather spend time turning than sharpening. Last bit is jigs if you want to go there and there are plenty out there both to buy and home made. I find I can get by with just the rest for most things but jigs do have a place if you want to do certain kinds of grinds on some gouges.
Regards
John

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Any half decent 6" or 8" grinder will do, the choice of wheel matters more. One of these -

Oddbod

Established Member
Reaction score
Any half decent 6" or 8" grinder will do, the choice of wheel matters more. One of these -
Any pointers as to which brands are better than others & which to avoid?
Most appear to be built down to a price, rather than up to a decent standard.

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd opt for something like this Tormek copy. Really popular and cheap so outlay is minimal.

The tormek is expensive because its designed to be used in a professional shop, more than likely switched on and off multiple times during the day, and likely 5 days a week for years and by more than one person.
I dont think it really does anything different to the Triton one in the link. Used in a setting of a single home user, and probably once a week or fortnight for the most part, more than likely only at the weekends.

TIP- Using one of these wheel whetstones - Take the water trough off after use. DONT allow the wheel to stay in the water if not switched on. This goes for the Tormek, Triton or any.

Last edited:

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Phil Pascoe, I have an Axminster craft 8" bench grinder, can't remember the exact model but it came with two white wheels, a rough 25mm on the left and a fine 50mm on the right that can be upgraded to a CBN wheel, with this I have the Robert Sorby 447 deluxe grinding jig, absolutely love it, it's good for anything you need to sharpen.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
A plus point with bench grinders for our use u need the slower RPM model….but can cost more…they r built for prof use and no cheap copies that I know off…
less likely to burn chisels…..
I have one plus a horizontal linisher, this is all I use but have been sharpening tools by hand for fifty years…..
I did think I treat myself to a Tormec but it"s well over priced….
Some recommend the Sorby sharpening system but for me that’s overpriced and the quality looks cheap….will make my own sometime in the future but from proper metal…..

Fergie 307

Established Member
Reaction score
A plus point with bench grinders for our use u need the slower RPM model….but can cost more…they r built for prof use and no cheap copies that I know off…
less likely to burn chisels…..
I have one plus a horizontal linisher, this is all I use but have been sharpening tools by hand for fifty years…..
I did think I treat myself to a Tormec but it"s well over priced….
Some recommend the Sorby sharpening system but for me that’s overpriced and the quality looks cheap….will make my own sometime in the future but from proper metal…..
Lidl currently selling a variable speed one wheel disc sander. I modified one of these to take diamond lapping discs. Works a treat for sharpening lathe tools and similar, £35 or thereabouts I think.

kinverkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Another one for a decent grinder. I sold my Tormek about eight years ago. I wanted to just get an edge quickly and get back to turning. As for wood chisels, it's quicker for me to grind the new bevel then sharpen it on a stone. I can't advise on a modern grinder. I have a Tull 6" grinder forty years old and two (I think Hilti) grinders which are also many years old.

Oddbod

Established Member
Reaction score
Went the bench grinder route & bought a Record RSBG8.
As supplied & after inspection, the wheels need truing & before that, they need some careful shimming with masking tape to make them run perpendicular to the shaft.
The 40mm fine wheel's close but the 25mm coarse stone is out a fair bit.
I'll dig out my ancient dial gauge & sort things, though I'll most likely buy a CBN wheel in the not too distant future (Axminster appear to be the only source of 200x40mm CBN wheels in the UK).