Bench (for sitting, not for working)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipp

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a bench to be put over the radiator in our living room. Frozen ladies might like this in winter time :wink: .

It is made from cherry. Normally, I prefer hand tools, but for this bench I made a little and primitive router table for my weak Bosch POF 600 which was a great help with the chamfers.

Tensioning the belt strap with a shop made lever:

B9655.jpg

B9656.jpg

While installing the webbing there always must be a strecher in the frame (best is a piece of plywood with exact the inner width of the frame), otherwise the frame will be bent considerably or even collaps.

The final stretcher is mounted below the frame in order to avoid contact while seating. I did not care about wood selection here. The small prisms are fixed to the stretcher with three dowels. Glueing alone would not resist the forces of the webbing.

B9657.jpg

Works:

B9659.jpg

B9661.jpg

B9662.jpg

(That carpeting - hopeless! :evil: )

Thanks for looking.

Regards, Philipp

Yes I like that :mrgreen:

Do you think the staples will hold out under tension and with a persons weight on as well ?

Like the woven seat very neat :wink:

Blister":10mz19w7 said:
Do you think the staples will hold out under tension and with a persons weight on as well ?

Hi Blister,

If the Klitschko-brothers were for visit I'd ask them to take seat on the sofa :? . But for me (75 kgs) and my wife (much less :wink: ) it's stong enough.

Every belt has a tensile stength of 150 daN (equals to 150 kg), so I think it is enough. Perhaps I need to add some more cramps to the webbing.

Regards, Philipp

Thats very nice. I really like that sort of style of furniture. It always looks very comfortable.
Owen

Back