Bench drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodPecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered before but doing a search fro drill throws up too mant Threads. I need to get a bench drill, how much would I have to spend to get a decent one and what make/model would you suggest?

I've got the PowerBase Xcel (Homebase) bench drill, It's my first bench drill. I didn't really need it, but it was on clearance for £14 so couldn't resist.

Now I wouldn't be without it.

More expensive ones probably offer more capacity, more travel, bigger chucks? quick change chucks? more power, more respect :) more accuracy (not that i've had any problems, but I don't do any really precision stuff).

Not sure if any of this is useful to you, but I just felt like waffling on :)

Hi Adrian,
I had one of the cheap B&Q drill presses until recently when I bought a new Sealey. premier range. on Ebay.
Its big, heavy and its powerful and accurate,,,,absolutely fantastic and at £140,worth every penny.
The small cheapos tend to struggle with spade and forstner bits patricularly in hard wood and also the height and depth adjustment is very limited so treat yourself and go for a good one from the offset, you wont regret it.
I looked at the axminster model ED16B and ND16B which I would have gone for had the Sealey not come along.
Beejay

We've got a big Record drill press which has a propensity to whirl drill bits around concentrically :( . Not my favourite machine.

Gill

I have a Delta bench drill and its magic, very pleased with it. If D&M would just snd me the third bar handle for the the bloody thing it would be even better.

Why they sent me 2 handles of the right size and one HUGE thick bar I'll never know. I thought maybe it was by design, but non of the holes on the spindle will exept the one extra thick handle bar, replacement was oversized as well..

maybe its me...

Anyway, its quiet now the belt has run in a little, was easy to set up and drills erm...holes

Gill":2jfd3xai said:
We've got a big Record drill press which has a propensity to whirl drill bits around concentrically :(

Seems a strange thing to get upset with a drill press for - isn't that its main purpose?

Jake":2arb11wp said:
Gill":2arb11wp said:
We've got a big Record drill press which has a propensity to whirl drill bits around concentrically :(

Seems a strange thing to get upset with a drill press for - isn't that its main purpose?

I was trying to describe the propeller effect of our press. Apparently, the tip of a drill bit should remain in a stationary position when the drill press is operated, just whirling round and round. I say "apparently" because ours doesn't; it flares out.

Gill

That sounds about right, Alf, but there's already far too much eccentricity in my workshop for me to consider risking that word!

:D

Gill

It whirls them around non-concentrically, then, which is a very sensible reason to be pineappled off with a drill press!

That sounds about right, Alf, but there's already far too much eccentricity in my workshop for me to consider risking that word!

Just use a smaller diameter bit then :lol: Still it'll be use full for stiring paint. :lol:

Matt (sorry i couldn't resist)

Back