Bench Drill Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go.....dug deep to find these :)

Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image3.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image5.jpg
Image6.jpg

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3,174
Random Orbital Bob":33fkkg0g said:
aye...stick castors on the stand and you have max flexibility

I do have the flexibility. Now I just need the space! :) (must keep this clean, it's just outside the kitchen...)

Attachments

• IMG_5588_b.JPG
    IMG_5588_b.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 3,164
Random Orbital Bob":15q4f5rq said:
Very nice GL....you bothered to taper yours for stability. Puts mine to shame :)

Not at all, not at all! This started life as a sturdy BOSSE wooden bench from IKEA.
I decided on starting with a ready-made bench, instead of buiding from scratch, because I do not have much space for working. As I have no fixed workbench and would need the Workmate for sawing, etc., the DP would have to be kept on the floor until I needed it, then I would have to lift it up and put it on the WM to do any necessary drilling, so while it was there I could not use the WM for sawing, etc. - you can imagine the works...).
I added a base (basically because the feet of the bench were too narrow for the castors, but it comes in handy for keeping my small Bosch bench grinder and some small vises on the back), castors (the two front pair with brakes), a bench top so the DP would be at a comfortable working heigh, a compartment for sandpaper (the pane on the front), and a small drawer to keep some drills and bits.
The small retractable shelf just under the top was meant for the bench grinder, but I found out it was not practical, as DP could not be used while the grinder was there. So now the shelf is permanently retracted...

One has to find the way most adapted to his needs and possibilities - and his laziness... :D
003_b.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 003_b.JPG
    003_b.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 002_b.png
    002_b.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 1,044
Random Orbital Bob":12h0oobn said:
I totally agree with the pragmatic view taken by the last poster (Spindle I mean). There is a pattern emerging on this forum which has a tendency towards 2 repeated issues:

1. That anything made in the Far east is by default rubbish and anything made in Europe is Rolls Royce.
2. That these discussions are black and white, binary, either or

The reality is there is always a continuum with tools, a spectrum of price versus quality. And not all tools that weren't forged in the flames of 1940's Sheffield furnaces are rubbish!

Also, the use to which the tool will be put is absolutely fundamental to the right choice of tool. If someone wants to go 1 step up from hand drilling to guarantee a more or less true but small hole and always in wood....why on earth would they want a continuously rated motor that could scoop out a black hole!

I mean....duh!!

To the original poster. Unquestionably a Meddings for a £100, you'd be mad not to buy it but do you actually NEED one? Just wondering when tool snobbery started to triumph over common sense.

I'd agree with most of that Bob and as I said, if it does the job then really ther's nothing wrong with it.

I certainly am not of the opinion that all things chiwanese are rubbish. I own a SIP table saw and a couple of AXI machines amongst my better machines and I admit to being very lucky, but also patient in my search for a decent drill press.
The saying " you pays your money..etc" still holds good however and IMO a solid, well looked after industrial quality machine is better than a cheap clone.

There is another reason I try to buy good quality which is that 90% of my woodworking is my hobby and I want to enjoy using my machines, not struggle in frustration with them. Do I "need" a Meddings? Probably not much of the time but I reap the benefits on the occasions that I do. Am I a tool snob? Definately not! There are no green tools "festooling" away in my cupboards :lol:
We're all different are we not?

cheers
Bob

Hi chaps,

After several evenings of study and much deliberation I've decided to go for an Axminster AT2801DP :oops:

I would have preferred the cheaper of the two Trade-rated machines; however, it won't be available for a further three weeks and I need the drill before then.

I'm sure you will all be eager to find out just how bad the drill is, so when it arrives I'll try to write a brief review, taking extra care to document the flaws for your amusement.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it's been interesting...

Mark

I saw that machine, but decided against it after reading some stories about Warco's customer service. I don't know if there's any truth in them, but I think the Axminster drill was worth the extra money for the peace of mind.

Hi Mark, I am looking for a drill just now and have given up hope of something older coming up within travelling distance so will be intrestedin how you find the Axminster machine.
Alan

mark aspin":5y0js6p8 said:
Hi chaps,

After several evenings of study and much deliberation I've decided to go for an Axminster AT2801DP :oops:

I would have preferred the cheaper of the two Trade-rated machines; however, it won't be available for a further three weeks and I need the drill before then.

I'm sure you will all be eager to find out just how bad the drill is, so when it arrives I'll try to write a brief review, taking extra care to document the flaws for your amusement.

Mark

Looks ok to me Mark and as Roger said, Axminster have good aftersales service.
Good luck with it, hope it's a goodun.

Bob

themackay":ejnjyseb said:
Hi Mark, I am looking for a drill just now and have given up hope of something older coming up within travelling distance so will be intrestedin how you find the Axminster machine.
Alan
No problem. I'll write a review at the earliest opportunity.

Lons":ejnjyseb said:
Looks ok to me Mark and as Roger said, Axminster have good aftersales service.
Good luck with it, hope it's a goodun.

Bob

I hope so too! It was Axminster's reputation which swayed me in the end - I'd rather pay more knowing that I'm covered if anything went wrong, than spend less, and in the worst situation, be left with a broken machine bought from a company who don't want to know.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. Any holiday plans for this year? :D

mark aspin":11q21g8n said:
P.S. Any holiday plans for this year? :D

It's all up in the air at the minute Mark due to my missus changing her mind every 10 minutes on whether to retire or not.

We had sort of decided to go away for a couple of months back to see more of OZ and NZ band I wanted to go via Rio / Iguassi Falls / Buenos Aries. I also fancy going back to Canada at some stage as I loved it so much.
She's finally decided and leaves end of June but I now have work commitments and it will be a wait and see I think. Might just have a short break and go away in the winter.

Are you planning anything?

Bob

mark aspin":2fk2agt6 said:
Hi chaps,

Mark

better than the clarke and the SIP

Back