bench drill morticing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary H

Established Member
Reaction score
Still trying to get the 'woodshack' watertight in
Today in work I salvaged a bench drill - bound for the skip, would you believe!!. So I took it apart and brought it home. It's a Meddings Popular 13mm chuck, 5 speed (500-3200 rpm), 1/3 hp.

My question is does anyone know if the morticing attatchments that are available will fit, and are they any good? I know it's best to have a dedicated morticer but I have neither the funds or space ATM.

If anyone has any experience with either the drill or the 'morticing converter thingies' any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can provide a pic if necessary..

Ta muchly

Gary

No idea about attachments but Meddings drills are still made and somewhat Rolls Royce-ish compared with the typical Chaiwan import. If it is in good nick you have a winner!

I think the main factor in fitting a mortise attachment is the depth between the chuck and table and of course the part above the chuck where the mortiser attaches.

The length of the morticing attachment from quill to tip of a 1/2" chisel is 12" They do come with adapters for yoke to quill fitting,I had one made to fit my D/P as I must have got a odd size quill.
One drawback of using a attachment over a dedicated morticing m/c is the short leverage on a D/P for the plunge, other than that it suits me.

Mortice%20Attachment.jpg

Gary H

Not to sure whether the standard motising attachment would fit you drill, but i have somewhere in my workshop a mortice attachment for a drill. it has only been used once and that was when I fitted it to my pillar drill for the inital tryout.

Eventually I will be moving to the bench type model although don't do many M/T joints at the moment.

The good news for you is that if its fits you are welcome to it, its a free gratis thing.

Waka

I bought the morticing attachment from screwfix along with the pillar drill they adverticed as a set. I spent 3 days trying to get the attachment to fit. the bolts to hold it in place were interferring with the bolts to hold the work in place. I returned it & bought a dedicated morticer. When I phoned about it the lady on the phone said that a great many were being returned for the same reason.

Luckily this one is not from Screwfix. If I'm not mistaken its from delta, purchased in Canada.

Regarding set up, it took me about an hour before I was making good tenons.

Gary H, you'll have to pick it up.

Waka

As you can see from the photo (I think its showing now) I don't use those J shaped hold downs that came with the attachment, don't see any need.

Takes me 1/2 to set up, far quicker than using hand tools.

Back