Bench drill choice and adaptability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been dithering for some time between the Axi radial arm bench drill http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod719353/

and the 'standard'
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod725428/

I like the idea of the more versatile radial arm drill but the maximum height between table and chuck is several inches smaller than the other one.
I am wondering if the 'pillar' is normally a separate piece ( ie, the drill needs to be assembled ) and if so maybe I could get a floor standing drill and cut the pillar down so it could still be bench mounted but be taller than the other?

The radial arms 'pillar' is also 60mm wide while the other is 80mm which sounds sturdier.

Decisions decisions

The radial takes up a lot of space but its 220-420mm throat is hard to beat.

I don't know about the floor standing model but I think the column on the bench model could be cut down at the top as long as you also cut down the rack used to raise and lower the table.

The bottom of the column came already fixed to the mounting plate used to bolt it to the base, but the top just locates into a T shaped bracket.

I can't remember whether the top of the column was plugged in any way to help it resist the pressure of the clamp holding it to the top assembly though ...

I posted a load of photos of mine during assembly which may help you visualise it - http://aggravatedwoodbutchery.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/axminster-awbrd550-first-impressions/

HTH

John

Thanks for the answer.
I decided to go on a slightly different tack. My main criteria was that it could go on a bench and be moved around but I decided to get the floor standing model ( which arrived yesterday ) and put it on a trolley with a removable cupboard built around the column. Best of both worlds, I hope.

One thing I have noticed though.... the worm drive that you have to put in the table mount for the wind up handle to go on has a large flat spot which makes the table hieght adjustment very 'jumpy'. Has yours ?

I think this flat spot you mention is to stop the table from just free-falling if the table is not locked after being adjusted. I have seen this on other drills in the past.

Paul.

samthedog":3az22n1r said:
I think this flat spot you mention is to stop the table from just free-falling if the table is not locked after being adjusted. I have seen this on other drills in the past.

Paul.

That is what my son said, didn't know he knew about such things :)

It makes winding it up rather bumpy though. Good job table hieght isn't critical.

Other than that though it seems a good bit of kit.

Grahamshed":1u9u3ur5 said:
One thing I have noticed though.... the worm drive that you have to put in the table mount for the wind up handle to go on has a large flat spot which makes the table hieght adjustment very 'jumpy'. Has yours ?

I've not noticed it being too bad as long as you take the weight of the table with your other hand when adjusting it.

I tried a couple of Fox bench drills a while ago and thought they felt very notchy and the Axminster certainly feels less so, whilst admittedly not feeling silky smooth.

John

I think I might drop Axi a line just to see what they say. I noticed when I put the wormdrive in and spun it by hand before assembling that it missed the teetn for part of the time. this is exaggerated when actually winding up the table and intentional or not I don't think it should be this bad. I can live with it but not sure I should have to. :)

Update.
I have spent the weekend winding the table up and down quite a bit while I am making a table for it. It does seem to be getting progressively better. Still not silky smooth by any means but much better than it was.
I have the feeling if I stripped it down again there would be a fair few metal filings in there :)
Still great value for money though.

Back