Bench drill - Bosch PBD40

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one, it's not perfect but it's good for the price and I like it. The only issue for me is the chuck which can slip at times. But got round this by careful tightening and reducing the drilling speed.

I've got this drill too - been happy with it. I replaced a cheap Clarke. I'd buy the Bosch again, but not the Clarke!
Really like the digital depth stop - it's been very accurate for me. Also the digital speed readout and variable speed control is so easy to use.

One thing I would point out is I have to tighten the pillar lock as hard as I can to prevent any wobble. I often feel like I'm going to break it, but it hasn't yet!

I have one in the teaching workshop, I've never had any problems with accuracy or anything else for that matter. Some struggle with the fact there's no handle on the wheel but it does have a big advantage in pen making. 90mm of travel!

Is the dial handle wide enough to drill out and fit a few handles if you wanted? Is it a metal or plastic handle

I bought one 1/3 off in the lockdown from Amazon (which in truth was the deciding factor). It's absolutely fine. I would not do anything that was not just drilling (like putting a sanding head in there). I am not drilling much metal. Mainly wood and a fair few pen blanks for turning where I want accuracy. I find the height adjustment really nice using the wheel and whereas before I would have tried to avoid moving the table I now adjust the height for almost every drill change. The laser bit is OK (I am not a great fan of these). I do have to check that I have properly tightened the chuck and then use the lock ring but after a first few loose attempts I am OK with it. The wheel is a bit odd for the drill action, but I think I will just do a side knob at some point. I like the digital depth stop and the variable speed is nice. Certainly at the price I paid it's a no brainer. I think I got an extended guarantee as well. When that expires maybe I will paint it blue.

Is the dial handle wide enough to drill out and fit a few handles if you wanted? Is it a metal or plastic handle
It is possible to take it off and put on a lever type. There is a YouTube video of such upgrade

I was actually thinking a spinning side handle would be pretty good

I’ve got one and it’s ok. If I were purchasing now I would seriously look at a Wabeco drill stand. Not as elegant but sturdier, more versatile and can be packed away.

I view'd a youtube video on the drill and was concerned about the amount of play it has , The person doing the video held the drill and could move it left and right what looked like 1mm , not good for precision drilling
Each to their own if you just need a drill its good value compaired to the Nova :eek:

I view'd a youtube video on the drill and was concerned about the amount of play it has , The person doing the video held the drill and could move it left and right what looked like 1mm , not good for precision drilling
Each to their own if you just need a drill its good value compaired to the Nova :eek:
Maybe he had a Friday afternoon machine. I have not seen any of the problems encountered by the nay sayers

Other than the very highest priced all pillar drills have a tiny bit of play which though it may be significant in engineering is not that of a problem with wood. Wood does not machine or can be worked that accurately. Wood machined to a few thou won't be that tomorrow when the weather changes.:).

I’ve had a Clarke pillar drill for at least 15 years- no problem, not one. Both heavy and light stuff. Still working great.

Can I suggest that it would be a good idea to give an opinion on something you own rather than give your opinion based on the experience of others.

Can I suggest that it would be a good idea to give an opinion on something you own rather than give your opinion based on the experience of others.

Are you suggesting I buy one then find out it has movement ? I thought thats what revews were for ?
If I buy a camera I look at reviews before parting with my money
Do you look at reviews or jump in head first ?

There does seem to be a few people who own one on this thread who seem to be happy with it. I think that their opinion carries more weight than yours.

Back