Bench Drill alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been considering getting a bench drill but but the problem is justifying the cost. It would be mainly used with a forstner bit to make handles in plywood boxes, I will also make a jig so i can route the handles but the dimensions will change from time to time. Part of the problem is and probably like most people, i don't like to buy rubbish and then end up regretting it but i also don't want to spend a fortune and realise i have purchased something well beyond my needs, i would just like a simple and accurate solution that can change with my possible needs in the future. Budget wise i was thinking of spending about £300 ish but would spend a little more if it was worth while. I would probably just like to buy something that might last me quite a few years.

Is there a suitable drill press that is good enough or would you suggest anything else, quite like dealing with axminster and they have quite a selection. I would love to have something like an old Fobco but i don't have the time or the knowledge to restore one, i would probably just end up wrecking it.

I hope that come across clear enough.

thanks

Mark

I usually fight in axminsters corner, but I bought a drill press from that was totally unusable out of the box. To the extent it could not even be assembled. There were so many faults that I'm not even going to run through them here.
Sadly, nowadays axminster receives a box from china and sends it straight out to the customer and its the customer who has to perform the quality control checks. The good news is that they replace without quibble, so if youre in mainland UK you can just keep replacing until you get a good one.
Even more sad is the news that almost all companies follow the same system nowadays.
Theres no easy answer to your request for guidance which is why so many now buy 50 year old machines and refurbish them.

But they are a really useful addition to the workshop. Once I fixed mine I find i use it much more than I thought I would.

honestly, consider one of these:

union hand drill

it won't cost you much, if you dont like it you can move it on and not lose much and they are brilliant tools.

I have used mine (current one is the mancuna version) regularly with forstener bits and other bits.

Have you thought about one of the offerings from Lidl (they have some at the moment) I have have a previous one and have an X/Y table from banggood on it and it covers most of my needs that don't require the big floor standing one

Have you thought about one of the offerings from Lidl (they have some at the moment) I have have a previous one and have an X/Y table from banggood on it and it covers most of my needs that don't require the big floor standing one
I just bought a scheppach bench drill from Lidl, but not even assembled it yet .. too hot!

I usually fight in axminsters corner, but I bought a drill press from that was totally unusable out of the box. To the extent it could not even be assembled. There were so many faults that I'm not even going to run through them here.
Sadly, nowadays axminster receives a box from china and sends it straight out to the customer and its the customer who has to perform the quality control checks. The good news is that they replace without quibble, so if youre in mainland UK you can just keep replacing until you get a good one.
Even more sad is the news that almost all companies follow the same system nowadays.
Theres no easy answer to your request for guidance which is why so many now buy 50 year old machines and refurbish them.

But they are a really useful addition to the workshop. Once I fixed mine I find i use it much more than I thought I would.
Thanks for the reply, which model did you purchase and return?

Thanks

honestly, consider one of these:

union hand drill

it won't cost you much, if you dont like it you can move it on and not lose much and they are brilliant tools.

I have used mine (current one is the mancuna version) regularly with forstener bits and other bits.
Jesus, what the hell is that thing lol?

I bought the 13 mm bench drill. I could not return it because of the shipping back from Cyprus. But I accept that risk when I buy machinery as I have an extensive background in machinery install and repair so I am able to fix all the faults myself. But several of them on this press would have defeated a weekend warrior. I did get a voucher from them in part compensation.

But I repeat, most companies are of a muchness. Axminster are not alone in this.

I will admit to buying a Lidl Parkside bench drill, which is as awful and chinesium as you would expect. Still extremely useful, even if dubious quality. A real one would probably be brilliant, but the €65 pretend version is still used quite a bit.

Back